Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buttermilk Marinade X-Spearments

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just finished up a serious lunch, and I am beginning to see the benefits of buttermilk as a marinade base.[p]I had some turkey breast cutlets I cut from a small turkey we used to make broth with. Marinated them in a mixture of buttermilk, a bit of rosemary, thyme, pepper, salt and lawrey's. Cooked some up last night searing 3 minutes a side at 500, and dwelling 6 more minutes. They were done nicely, and very tender, but lacking a bit in flavor.[p]As I have been out of JJs rub, I made up a new batch this morning (thanks JJ). I took the remaining meat, which had been marinating 24 hours, and gave them a nice coating of JJs rub, seared on junior for 3 minutes a side at 500, and dwelled for 3 more minutes (they were fairly thin cuts). These were awesome.[p]MikeO, and the articles he provided, claim buttermilk and yogurt are the only marinades that truly tenderize the meat. It really does tenderize. Not really sure yet on how it affects the flavor, but I am starting to see its benefits.[p]Very simple way to do boneless/skinless breasts. Or turkey cutlets.[p]Cheers
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]You just be sure that you save some room for eggfest young man. Don't go filling up on all these snacks before dinner.[p]Troy
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    No more beer marinades? Never tried yogurt or buttermilk. Is it useful for all meats? Any recipies you have that are especially awesome?
    bd

• Nature Boy
    Options
    bdavidson,
    Just a beginner. Supposedly KOC is big on buttermilk. When he rejoins us maybe we can pound him for info![p]No I will still use other marinades, just learning now!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Will he join us at EF2K? Could gang up on him then....
    The combination, beer/buttermilk, does not sound at all appealing.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    bdavidson,
    You are right. Beer/buttermilk doesn't sound great. But you never know! Could be the answer. I almost picked up some coconut soda to try adding to my rib marinade....but I will experiment AFTER the fest.[p]KOC will not be at the fest. We'll grill him when he returns!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    bdavidson, I won't be at EggFest,, but I'm planning on going to Atlanta in the Fall for that bash. Buttermilk is highly recommended by chefs like Prudhomme and Emeril. They hold it in high esteem for tenderizing,, not sure about flavor addition, but you can add that with your favorite sprinkeleys. I usually use it on wings after coating them with dry seasonings just to carry the seasonings all over, under, around, and through every crack and crevice. I use it 50/50 with milk to soak fish before frying too because it removes the strong fish taste. I soaked a couple of large grouper fillets in buttermilk over night and then decided to grill them instead of frying. I just rinsed them off with cold water and dried them with paper towels. Re-seasoned them appropriately and they were most fine. I started using it when I wanted to soak meat in something that was not heavy on flavor, like when you have a favorite rub or seasoning for a certain meat and want to use a liquid marinate but don't want the normal liquid selections. Plain salt and pepper with a light buttermilk dampening does good on pork or chicken. I use buttermilk to help make a rub paste for butts and pork loins. Kinda like mustard is used. Oh well,, the Dauphin Island Regatta is this Saturday,, here it is almost Wednesday,, and I haven't given a thought about what to cook while we are out in the boat watching all the pretty sails pass by at the end of the race under Dauphin Island Bridge. I must be slipping. I think I'll do,,, the large end of a giant pork loin, fileted out flat, seasoned (both sides) with "buttermilk", Prudhommes Pork & Veal Magic, cajun seasoning, maybe a dash of cumin, crushed garlic, a touch of ginger, sliver-sliced onions, salt, fresh ground pepper, add a double hand full of pealed & devained gulf shrimp,,, rolled back up like a jelly-roll and tied tight with cotton string,, cooked indirect at about 300 dome for,, well until we get back,,,, and sliced in 1 inch thick slices and feed to the drunk guests.. They'll probably love it.. I will try to remember the camera so yall can taste it too. Have a GREAT weekend boys and girls.

• Randman
    Randman Posts: 31
    Options
    King-O-Coals, that pork loin concoction sounds like it will be a real dandy of a meal. I bet those fresh gulf shrimp make a real difference compared to what I get here in KC.