Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Cow Reply/Christmas Redux/Who posted that Cornbread Stuffing Recipe?

Options
Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,
My e-mail's not letting me in, but I'm able to connect to Netscape. Go figure.[p]I have been reading the past posts, and wish to comment about the mad cow question. I wouldn't hesitate to eat a steak or roast or any piece of one animal, but nothing would get me to eat commercially packaged ground beef. IMHO, that's just asking for trouble, big-time. There can be as many as 300 cattle represented in one such hamburger. So when you're jonesing for a big juicy burger, just grind your own. It makes sense anyway, because you can control the fat content. I'm not in any way being critical of the beef industry, but if you know the content of what you're eating, you're WAY better off.[p]Now don't anybody flame me, please! I'm just offering my opinion and being a bit sensible and careful.[p]Re: Christmas...we hosted a party Christmas Eve; about 30 or so. Part of the spread included the BEST pulled pork with Happy Pappy sauce, marinated pork tenderloins with raspberry chipotle sauce, and smoked salmon with maple butter and NB's Raging River Rub. Man, good stuff came off the Egg![p]Next day, Christmas, dinner for 12. I did two small turkeys..both brined for 24 hours, one on the Egg, which was spatched and seasoned under the skin with olive oil, garlic, and some Red Rooster rub from Ken Stone. The other turkey was also spatched, with the thigh bone removed and stuffed with the Southwestern Cornbread Stuffing with cilantro, jalapenos and creamed corn posted here. I don't have the posters name copied, which was a big mistake because I'd like to give proper thanks. It is a GREAT recipe which will appear on our holiday table from now on.[p]The bottom line is that I'll not bother with the indoor oven version again. It was a pain in the kazoo, and the results were only marginal considering all the preparation I did. Julia Child, sorry. The Egged turkey was tender and moist, with lovely mahogany skin. It carved like a dream, and was gone in a flash.[p]I hope I can read my e-mail soon, though I'm sure most of my messages have to do with increasing the size of something that I was not born with but acquired by marriage. So it goes.[p]I'll be Egging some kind of pork and sauerkraut for New Year's Day, as it's tradition.[p]Cheers,
Gretl

Comments

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Gretl,[p]Thanks, the cornbread stuffing was mine. Only thing bad about it is there's one heck of a lot of prep work for it! I've got half a pan sittin in the fridge right now as there were only three of us for Christams. It tastes better reheated though, IMO.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Pakak, would you mind reposting it or providing a link to the original post? That one sounds like a keeper. Thanks.

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Wise One,[p]Here ya go.
    [ul][li]Southwestern Cornbread Stuffing[/ul]
  • Pakak,
    Thanks a bunch! I made the cornbread the week before and dried it, then froze it in a ziplock bag. That cut down greatly on the prep time, of course. I did add some homemade broth, and an egg as a "binder." For the green pepper, I used a nice fat poblano. Oooh. It was very, very good. Yes, we have some left over...only because The Old Folks thought it too spicy. Too bad for them, more for me. I had plenty of other sides for them to nosh. Again, thank you for posting. Great recipe.
    Cheers,
    Gretl