Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks thirdeye for another baked bean success

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_0692.jpg

Back in 2007 thirdeye posted a recipe called Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans which I have made several times now for some get togethers. Yesterday was a neighborhood campfire cook out and "my beans" were again requested and again were a smashing success. The nice thing that keeps the recipe in the BGE camp is that pulled pork plays an important role so it's not something non-eggers are about to tackle!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    RRP, is your DO sitting on the platesetter,or is something...feet?...seperating them? BTW, killer looking beans! :P
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Steve,

Looks like either the DO has some short legs or he has it sitting on something. My DO has no legs so I put four foil balls under it for a spacer. But since CI is supposed to dissipate the heat so well, it probably doesn't really need the spacer. Maybe one of our more eggsperienced DO cooker will chime in. Also open to learning something new about egg cooking ! :woohoo:

PS - Got your voicemail. Still got a couple of more folks to sleep and wake up. I will call you on my commute home (If I haven't breathed too much 'gas' and forget) :sick:
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    I cook with my CI DO right on the platesetter Clark

DSC_0014-30.jpg
    Unless I am baking bread in it, then its on the Egg Feet
    DSC_0006-63.jpg

Ross
  • RRP
    Options
    I used 3 copper eldbows as spacers.
    IMG_0756.jpg
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Makes sense, especially for the bread. THX for clearing that up.
  • RRP
    Options
    I also have another DO with the 3 legs which is called a camp stove style as I recall. Since this pot of beans was going on a hot pad at the serving table I used my legless one.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Ron,I've been making them with cherry pie filling instead of apple, people love them. -RP
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Ron,

Keri's recipe is so good I started printing it out because so many people asked for it after they taste them.... I suggested the same to several of my friends that make it too. Two of them said "give out the recipe??? They're too good!"

I guess Jack's Old South does a similar bean dish with canned peach filling, and I've seen some that Ricks Tropical Delight cooded when he used cherry pie filling (the deep color on those was fantastic).
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • glousteau
    glousteau Posts: 124
    Options
    Can someone share the recipe please?
  • RRP
    Options
    KERI’S HOG-APPLE BAKED BEANS

Micowave 8 pieces of bacon, save grease, dice 4 of them of this dish
    2 28 oz Bush’s Baked Beans – do not drain
    ½ c your favorite BBQ sauce
    2.5 cups of pulled pork chopped fairly fine
    1 21oz can of apple or cherry pie filling – dice so no large chunks
    1 med onion, chopped
    ½ green pepper, chopped
    ¼ c brown sugar
    2 T Worcestershire
    2 T yellow mustard
    ½ t chipotle or cayenne pepper
    1 t your favorite dry rub

Sauté onion and green pepper in the bacon grease. Mix all the remaining ingredients in flat bottom cast iron Dutch Oven stirring thoroughly. Bake in BGE indirect at 325° dome using plate sitter legs up and copper tees for spacers for 1 hour with NO lid on the DO.

Source: via thirdeye on 10-24-07. Originator was someone name Keri C, smoking on Tulsa Time
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I did Rick's version a few times this year and it is great with cherries. Brisket in this pot.

BEANSCHERRY.jpg
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe.