Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carni-sweetpertader pa

Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Atlanta was great, saw some good friends, met some friends I’d never seen, & over all had a great time. I was fortunate enough to get to spend some time with Todd, covered the usual important subjects, life, kids, & sauce; whilst picking up a stash of my single favorite sauce on the planet (Robust), he was kind enough to give me a bottle of the Carnivore Sweet, & as usual, it went on the next thing I made, so here it is, cousin of the carniswine pie, the carni-sweetpertader pa:

No sweet potatoes used, the sweet is the sauce:

IMG_0534.jpg

Sliced red potatoes:

IMG_0536.jpg

Fried in CI:

IMG_0537.jpg

Baking potatoes, post bake, scooped out:

IMG_0538.jpg

Rolled flat:

IMG_0539.jpg

Oil the cast iron pan then season the pan with rub, it’ll form a crust on the exterior of the potatoes:

IMG_0541.jpg

Potato skins formed into the pan, carniswine pie style, as a crust:

IMG_0542.jpg

chopped ham:

IMG_0544.jpg

first layer of fried red potatoes:

IMG_0545.jpg

caramelized onions with sage:

IMG_0546.jpg

blue cheese:

IMG_0547.jpg

walnuts:

IMG_0548.jpg

more fried potatoes:

IMG_0549.jpg

sauce:

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

topped with remaining blue cheese & onto the egg:

IMG_0552.jpg

After some time spent at 450 indirect:

IMG_0555.jpg

All done:

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

The sauce is fantastic, a very nice balance with the saltiness of the ham & blue cheese, crunchiness of the nuts, & deep fried-ness of the potatoes; next time however, I won’t use the baked potatoes as a crust, I’ll just use more fried ones, they taste better :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    :) ..you said deep fryedness.
    Nice.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Zippy, I don't know how you dream up some of the cooks you do :huh: They all look great B)
  • Zippylip
    I did didn't I :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    happy in the hut
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Funny what the sleep deprived mind comes up with on an early AM flight to Philly.

We waited up for you but didn't see you leave this morning. Glad to see you got home safe and sound. I think you left a beer in my cooler though.
  • Zippylip
    thanks, I can tell you this one came from a conversation with Big'un, we were talking about a similar concoction, I had it on my mind when I got home, but after eating the equivalent of what seemed like 1/2 a cow, 2 chickens and an entire hogg down in Atlanta, I thought maybe I'd lay off the meat, a little :lol:
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Rod, were you one of those faithful at 4am, I did see a small crowd as I tiptoed to my car, didn't want to get sucked back into the after party vortex :laugh: , well, I did, but I couldn't :evil:

buddy, thanks again for your hospitality, you really put on a serious gig there, I know that was a lotta work mang & it was greatly appreciated by all
    happy in the hut
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Zips, Considering your perseverence at the after-party, the 6AM flight, and still enough energy to dream up another food invention, you should consider entering one of those "Iron Man" competitions! I've got some great pics of you from last night's event. :) :laugh: :P
    Boss
    PS Hope you're not watching the Eagles. They're stinking it up. :angry:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Dude,

You are a re-incarnated John Wayne. My head is still pounding after 3 Bloody Mary's and a bottle of red. You had to get up at like quarter to still dark and you get home and decide to create something. They are made of steel man!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zippylip
    I am watching this pathetic effort, hopefully the Phills won't repeat this performance; so you got in ok today, got your message, my flight was only about an hour & forty-five minutes, real smooth & fast. That was one helluva good time howabout it, those Manhattans knocked you out of the game pretty early last night though :laugh:
    happy in the hut
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Marc, I never got one. Too busy pusing them onto unsuspecting Eggers. :evil:
  • Zippylip
    its a sickness, a sickness I tell ya... Steven that was a good time man, its a little hard to articulate specifically why, but every time I talk to you I laugh my ass off, & there was a lotta laughin this week; it was great seeing you again & meeting Norma. Also, at the next fest, may I suggest you plan on something that actually takes a little thought, uses more ingredients, & perhaps gets your hands a little dirty, I tell ya you guys & your "I just wanna do something easy so I can hang out" attitude, sheesh
    happy in the hut
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Did you dream that one up last night in the parking lot? :blink: :ermm: :P
  • Little Steven
    Hey man,

My ribs are broke from laughing. I think we made a valid case for the embroidery :laugh: Freakin Sparky kills me dude. We gotta do FLA.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zippylip
    Sparky is a freak of nature, another gut busting laughatorium of a human being, what a great spirit, & for the second straight fest, while talking to Del, I think I may have actually wet myself :ermm: :huh: :laugh: ; & Beli, what's that all about, I need about another 6 weeks of steady drinking with him to get up to speed
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    somewhere between the parking lot, the semi-dream state of 3 hours of sleep I had, & the partially conscious plane ride home.... how you feelin buddy? If I'm not mistaken, I think I may have seen you drink more than one beer, could've been as many as two :ohmy:
    happy in the hut
  • Little Steven
    They are all nice folk.....just a little hard for them to let their hair down and have fun, ya know. Personnaly, i like to have a drink and have fun but if they want to be prim and proper it's good with me :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Amazing, considering what you prob went through the past few days, and not to mention the characters of questionable nature you were forced to be around.

:lol::lol::whistle::lol: :ermm:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Zippylip
    well said, despite my better efforts, I now have even more friends in low places :laugh:
    happy in the hut
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Brother, how do you do it? That is just amazing! Do those wheels ever stop turning? I really enjoyed hanging out with you this weekend, Marc. Glad you made it home safely.
  • Great looking taters Mark

Ross
  • Zippylip
    well, since I didn't cook at the fest, 'cept when I got to be "Ritz spreader outer on the pizza screen guy" for Sparky, I was itch'n to cook something you know... it was great seeing you too & getting to shoot the chit, & somehow, I missed the mini meatloafs, not sure how, I'll have to assume it was the pool-beotch's fault, that little guy is a mischievous one isn't he
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    it was a double tater effort :)
    happy in the hut
  • Bama Chad
    Bama Chad Posts: 154
    Zip, you're killing me. Great talking to you again at the fest, see you next time.

Eggfest-2009042.jpg
  • You crazy.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Chad, was great talking to you too, & the chicken was spectacular, see you on the next one
  • but apparently not crazy enough to win an egg :blink: , or two :ohmy: :laugh:
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Hey Zipp, WOW nice meal. You could make a derivation of that cook with eggs for breakfast.

Good meeting you at the Fest.
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    I have never met anyone like him, PERIOD. A true team hardcore member. :laugh: