Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Here we go again.....What's in a name?

Toe 49
Toe 49 Posts: 193
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So....quite a while ago I posted a question....what's the story behind your forum name.....handle if you will. I just wanted to post this again because there have been a lot of new eggheads joining up lately. Mine, I have no idea but an told when I was starting to talk, you know, about 13 years old....I couldn't pronounce my name, Tom, and it came out "Toe".....for whatever reason one of my brothers added the 49 to it and "Toe 49" stuck. [p]So....what's the story behind your handle and, if you will, where are you located?[p]Toe 49 from Montpelier Vermont!

Comments

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Federal Express gave it to me.[p]When I opened company #2 in 1999, I called Fedex and said I need about 250 airbills. Keep everything the same, but change the company name from Sequitur Systems to DataShark. So I can see this guy scribbling down M.Holley (my nom de ex-spouse) and DataShark.[p]A couple days later I receive 250 airbills that do, indeed, have the company name changed to DataShark. The "FROM", however, has now combined M. Holley with DataShark and has turned into Molly Shark. It stuck. Half the universe calls me Molly now.[p]MollyShark in Foat Wuth
  • Toe 49,[p]I like the blues, love smoked food, so it had to be BlueSmoke.[p]Ken
  • Toe 49,
    my name is really max, and i always loved the mel gibson mad max movies (and although 'the roadwarrior' was the best one IMHO i loved tina turner as 'auntie' in 'beyond thunderdome'. . . 'two men in, one man out, two men in, one man out', and the 'master-blaster'). .anyway when deciding on a forum handle, i originally thought of 'mad max', but then while putting the dome on my egg, it hit me like an epiphany. . .[p]mad max beyond eggdome. . ..works for me

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Toe 49,[p]Evolved from Sundown Thursday an ad agency I owned many years ago. IN fact I think it's still legally a privately held corp. Gotta look into that some day.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    NatureBoyIdaho.jpg
    <p />Toe 49,
    It was thought by some that I liked to run naked through the woods....but fact is "Nature Boy" was given to me by an old man I used to work with 20 years ago. I would show him pictures from my backpacking expeditions, and he could not understand, fully, why I would put myself through all of this pain without the comforts of home.[p]Other than him, nobody called me this. Then when I became an egger, and needed a handle, I thought it fit perfectly since BBQ is done outdoors....where I feel very much at home.[p]Did your brother ever tell you where the 49 came from?[p]Born in the city of DC.....destined for the mountains.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Toe 49
    Nature Boy,
    No....probably would say "It's one less than 50" or something briliant like that....

• Toe 49
    Sundown,[p]Sometimes I think it’s a shame
    When I get feelin’ better when I’m feelin’ no pain[p]

• Toe 49
    MemViewImage.asp?AID=1246398&IID=37906568
    <p />Nature Boy,
    Not a long hike at all but the views of Vermont are amazing from the top of Camels Hump.....next time in Vermont I recommend it!

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Toe 49,
    When I first came to the forum I was informed that there was already a "Bob" here so I became New Bob.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob[p]

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Toe 49,
    Never could get into the nickname thing so I stuck with what most people call me...my real name.
    Plus, I probably couldn't post under what the wife calls me most of the time.

• Toe 49,
    Being 6' 4" and weighing in at about 290, you can probably figure out where LoveHandles comes from. Also being my name is Mike Love, it just fits perfectly. I live in Lake Havasu, Arizona which is now the home of the famous London Bridge. Hope everyone had a great Christmas. See-Yaa

• Toe 49,[p]Practicing hockey in the garage with my oldest boy a few years back... I got over-exuberant and let one rip... caught him in the chest and left a nice red welt for a couple of weeks. [p]SlapShot
    P.S. I used to be Walter... but couldn't figure out how to change the name, so I just created a new Profile.

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Pakak.jpg
    <p />Pakak is my dearly departed dog’s name. It’s an Inupiat (PC for Eskimo) word meaning “get into something” and is an authentic name for a Malamute. I like to use the name for a handle because I like short, easy to use and remember handles. Problem is, many are already taken. This one almost never is!
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Pakak,
    Nice to carry on the name of your ol' buddy. Also, you are fortunate to have such a great shot of him (her?). What a fantastic portrait!! From the lighting to the background to the glistening drop of saliva about to roll off the end of the tongue. You had a beautiful dog.[p]Happy New Year
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks. He was a beautiful dog and I still miss him nearly three years after losing him. If we're lucky, there are certain animals who come into our lives and have a certain, unidentifiable qualitiy about them. Personality falls short of describing "it". He had "it".
  • Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Toe 49,[p]I married into an Italian family that pays bocce ball at gatherings. I enjoyed the game, and long ago looking for screen names on AOL everything seemed taken, but bocce wasnt. Properly spelled bocce it is sometimes spelled bocci or boccie. I chose the latter. Its pronounced ba-chee for those unfamiliar with it :-)[p]~Boccie
  • Toe 49,
    I am a pharmacist and a grad of u of Ga 1962 thus the name PharmDawg.
    I live part time in Montezuma, Ga and part time in Sautee, Ga.
    This forum is great and that is a great post
    John

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Pakak,
    As an animal lover I have to agree with Nature Boy, even though it's been 3 years I can appreciate your loss.[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• LoveHandles,
    ya name doesnt mean anything. Im sure youre cooking is great!! keep up the good cookin!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Pakak,
    We know the feeling all too well. We still miss our beloved Shiloh after 5 years - he was no "dog" - he was family!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Toe 49,
    Fresh out of college in '66 I went to work for the accounting firm of Price Waterhouse & Co. In audit workpapers symbols used along with footnotes are called tickmarks and by so using them an auditor explains what test he has performed. He then "signs off" using his initials. Seeing there was already an RP on the staff and he had seniority I added my middle initial thus RRP. That moniker has stayed with me and on my shirt sleeves for 37 years now so it was a natural choice. BTW I live in Dunlap, IL about half way between Chicago and St Louis.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Toe 49,
    From Ohio, moved to DC when I was 19...not very original huh? :))

• Toe 49
    OhioBoy in DC,
    Well, that's one I might have figured out...
    Still, you never know!

• Toe 49, My name is what I named the place where I do all my egging and alot of my relaxing. It is a deck that is built out at the edge of our yard. There is a big drop off down into the woods. Simalar to how a lake bottom drops off only there is no water there's just woods. So I call it the the "Dock of The Woods". Also I always liked that song "Dock of The Bay" by Otis Redding. I don't have a bay, I have woods. I did have a picture with my profile, but I noticed tonight I don't have a profile anymore? Any way the "Dock of The Woods" is a very laid back, relaxing place, just outside of the little town of Emerson Ga. in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, where I cook, relax, drink a few beers, and enjoy life. Seems like the older I get the more of this I want to do.[p]Hugh

• Oops... forgot. I'm in San Jose, CA.[p]-Walter
  • Dock of The Woods,
    Hey Hugh, welcome back. Don't be such a stranger.
    Dave

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Dock of The Woods,
    Clicking on your handle shows us this wonderful looking place.
    Bob

[ul][li]Dock of the Woods[/ul]
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Toe 49,
    The handle Hammer was given to me in the Marine Corp. My group was a take no prisoners type of force, and was known to nail down the objective that we were given, regardless of the consequences, and the name Hammer stuck.
    Hammer[p]

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    fatdog.jpg
    <p />Toe 49,
    Was going to use the handle "Doc" - a nickname I got in high school (long story) but it was already taken. We owned a Basset Hound that I called Fat Dog (because she was a lard-butt, not unlike myself) and, in her memory, I decided on that name.

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    FatDog,
    By the way, I am a rarity, a native North Carolinain in Cary, NC - home of all the relocated yankees who didn't get all the way to Florida!