Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can You Pan-Fry Foods on the Egg?

RiverFarm
RiverFarm Posts: 216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Our large egg is still in the box awaiting help from a burly son to set it up. Meanwhile, one of the things we liked to do with our gas grill, which said son just inherited, was to cook things like fried peppers on the side burner so that they didn't smell up the house. Can you do that sort of cooking on an egg?

Comments

• Yep, a lot of people saute on the BGE, but not deep frying, that is very dangerous on a grill because of grease fire danger.
    Brett
  • RiverFarm
    Deep-frying is dangerous for your health, as well! :sick: We weren't contemplating that, but my husband loves to fry up peppers with garlic in olive oil for a sandwich with provolone cheese in the summertime, and we also used the sideburner if we were cooking something with a strong smell or that spattered a lot. We're hoping to keep the egg on our screened porch, so there will be lots of fresh air but we'll still have shelter from rain and bugs.
  • yes.. below is breakfast on the mini... cast iron is best im[not so]ho. many here have cut the handle of a large CI fry pan to use on the egg. cast iron dutch oven is a good choice too . i bought this one as the lid doubles as a fry pan and the two helper handles are more suited to eggin

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Double-Casserole-Skillet-diameter/dp/B000LEXR0K/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1255869773&sr=8-15

minisausage032.jpg
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    I did breakfast for a group last weekend and used my CI griddle to do the eggs while bacon was cooking on grill. My griddle has a handle but is small enough to close the lid. Couple nights ago I did grilled green beans in same skillet with some bacon. I've only had my eggs (ran out and bought a mini three weeks after getting my large!) since the end if June and I am a complete convert! Enjoy! ;):):)
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Want to blacken some fish?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCrj0Mqu66M

This is a classic imho! :woohoo:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • RiverFarm
    That's really helpful, but guess who didn't think about the handle issue! I have a wonderful 10" CI frying pan that was my grandmother's, that I use all the time. With the handle it's 17 1/2 ", so maybe it would work on my large egg. I also have a CI dutch oven. We could use that, too.

It also looks like some people do cook with the egg lid up, too, like Bill did with the bacon and eggs . Loco_engr, did you cook the blackened redfish with the cover open the entire time? Good video!

This will make my husband very happy! We had bought a small Q-series Weber gas grill to fill in the side-burner gap, but I guess we won't be needing it after all. My daughter may get a nice Christmas present!
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    The video is from Frank from Houma & Spring Chicken filmed at the famous Chicken Coop. And yes I think they did it all with dome up.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Yes you can...I do it all the time. I cook breakfast a lot out at competitions and do Cheesesteaks quite often as well. As was said no deep frying but you can certainly pan fry anything.

May52006117.jpg

Chuck
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Here's another alternative for your large. It's called a Griddle-Q and it makes griddle cooking a snap and easy to clean. Just click on the picture to see the slide show.
    th_IMG_0115.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC07669a.jpg

Yes, you can with reservations.... be extremely careful and use the minimum amount of oil that you can get away with. Use the most caution when turning, it's best to wear welders gloves, and I use tongs and a spatula together. At all costs, avoid splashing the oil when turning.

DSC07672a.jpg

Another option is a griddle and saute your veggies or delicate meats.

DSC07546a.jpg

DSC06608JPGathrowdown.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fish
    IMG_1420.jpg
    sooo good
    paul
  • JalopyBob
    JalopyBob Posts: 175
    You can deep fry with a dutch oven,in the egg, just keep the oil low in the pan so that it can not overflow. With a pair of welders gloves and the dutch oven lid at the ready there is no real fire danger. Just use common sense and heat control.