Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg getting too hot

Options
jdorf
jdorf Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need some help here. I am a nubie to the Egg lifestyle. I started by Egg this morning at 5 am and I let it warm up to 235 degrees, put my brisket on and closed down the top and bottom dampers to keep the keep constant at 225 - 250. I came out to check the Egg an hour later and it was at 275. What can I do to make sure my Egg stays at a constant 225? My brisket seem to be getting overdone more that I would expect. I still pull them at 185 and wrap them and stick them in a cooler, but I would like to keep the heat more consistant...

Can anyone help?

Comments

• HungryNephew
    Options
    If the egg is too hot, it means that you are getting more airflow than you want.

To get your egg down to 225-250 now - you'll need to close both the top and bottom to where it is only open a millimeter or so. Cooling an egg is much harder than heating it!

To get you egg to 225-250 the next time - Start with the vents closed ever more than you did this time. You can always open them a bit. Remember, if you open the top few mm, it might take 15 mins to warm up. Be patient. If you are not, you will open it too much and it will get too hot in a hurry. Let the egg stabilize for a while before putting the meat in.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    My guess would be that the temps were not stabilized completely.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • jdorf
    Options
    Thanks for the tip!

I also am using lump charcoal with branches from a cherry wood tree I dryed for over a year. Do you notice a difference when you use wood with your lump charcoal vs. lump charcoal by itself?
  • HungryNephew
    Options
    I don't think the wood would have much of an impact. The same principles apply to wood and lump.
  • jdorf
    Options
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    First of all, don't worry, because 275 is not going to cause a problem.

As has been mentioned, it sounds like the temp was not stable when you put the meat on. You should be closing the dampers before you get to the target temp and do all your adjustments before putting the meat on and let it sit at least 30 minutes.