Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wrong holes in bands?

Options
Officer50
Officer50 Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got my medium Egg on Tuesday night. When assembling , I began to put the bands together when I noticed that the holes were only drilled on 1 side of the bands, not the other. So I drilled the holes on the oter side of the band so I could attach the 2 bolts. This was the same for both bands. When I thought I had done everything I noticed that the drilling of the holes caused the holes for the hand to be off center. Now my handle is at about the 2:00 position. Went back to the dealer who said they would order me the new bands. Has anyone else experienced this? I beleive that the holes were punched using measurements for a large or xl egg.

Comments

• Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    I have never seen the bands on a medium, so I am going to assume they are like the bands on a large. If you are standing in back of the egg and looking at the bands you should have 2 holes just to the left of the hinge and 2 holes just to the right of the hinge. It sounds to me like the holes that should mount to the left side of the hinge (when standing in back of the egg) are now mounted on the right side, and the new holes are mounted on the left side. Does this make any sense? If this is not the case post some pictures if you can.
  • Officer50
    Options
    If you are standing behind the egg, looking at the hinge, there are 2 holes on the rightr side and NO holes on the left. The same is true for the upper and lower bands. Used it tonight for the first time and worked great...just a little awkward with the handle being at a 2:00 position instead of centered.
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    You did drill two new holes on each band correct? I believe that the two holes that were already there should have gone on the left side of the hinge (when standing behind the egg) and the newly drilled holes should have gone on the right side. Sounds like the pre drilled holes are on the right, and the holes you drilled are on the left, thereby making the handle be at the 2 o'clock position when standing in front of the egg. All of what I just typed is going by what you said originally, that you drilled two holes in each band.
    In this response you say there are no holes on the left side. If the holes on the right side of the hinge were put on the left side of the hinge I believe the handle would be dead center in the front.