Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Starting the Egg

Tony S.
Tony S. Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can I use ZIP bbq started cubes in the Egg? Was wondering about the smell? Does it give off fumes that would hurt the egg?
Manitoba, Canada Large BGE

Comments

• I wouldn't use zips they do leave a smell behind. And by the way, you've posted a fair amount but I missed it, hello from another "on the prairies" Canadian.

Doug
  • easiet thing to do is to use paper towel with oil. simple and quick

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Agreed re: paper towel and olive oil [or any kind of kitchen oil]

Simply twist a paper towel or table napkin into a "wick" and dab it with oil. I use three of these things...

Place them on top of your lump, then gingerly place a few more lumpettes on top of the "wicks"

It will be a smokey start -- wait for the smoke to clear, first from the oil, and then from the VOCs burning off the lump -- and introduce the food. Generally, I wait about half an hour for this, as I'm really fussy about "stinkies" being in the food.

If you have a weed burner, or other propane propelled torch -- fast'n-furious... much faster than OO and paper towels.

~ B
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I've tried all kinds of ways of starting the egg and the best for me is to use 91% rubbing alcohol - easily obtained at Wal-Mart. I put a tiny hole in the top seal and then squirt a little in 3 or 4 places around the charcoal and light it. It burns quickly and cleanly and gets the charcoal going very fast.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I'll have to give your method a try. A clean start without stinky black smoke is what I like.
    Thanks for the idea.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Just make sure you get the 91% alcohol since the most common type is 70% and that has too much water in it. Wal-Mart sells both kinds in their pharmacy department.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Whipstock
    Whipstock Posts: 104
    Thanks, I'll use that starting method next time.