Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Restaraunt Depot - How?

Options
Garnerac
Garnerac Posts: 134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do you get in at RD???
I have a business (21 years now) although not food service related and they wont let me in w/o a food service tax certificate.
Whats an honest way around that?

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    They let me in with my electrical contractors license at the Pompano Beach FL store. That was almost a year ago so maybe they have changed the requirements since then. Do you know someone that owns a resturant and might do you a favor?
    Good Luck and please let us know how it works out.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Garnerac
    Garnerac Posts: 134
    Options
    Maybe I need to try again. You know how sometimes it all depends on which person is at the counter !
    I an an AC/Heating Contractor and took my Tax Certificate with me. She asked if I had "Food Service" listed on the business activity. I had to honestly answer that. Is it worth setting up a Tax Certificate for a catering business?
    I do have a big Crawfish Boil once a year and cook for lots of other activities, but not for $$.
    The one I went to was in North Austin.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I agree just show up and give it a try, also go to there web site and read the terms before you go.
    Please let us know how it turns out.
    JJ

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Show them your business cert/Tax ID. If they ask whether you have "food service" listed as a business activity, tell them that you do not, but that you often cater for your business functions, employees, that you do some barbecue competitions, etc.

If you ever do any charity cooks, that would help too.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Do you belong orgs. that are 501c or related exemptions that serve food? Or if you know a card-carrier, you can ask if you can borrow their card...they don't have names on them.
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    My local RD looks for a way to let you shop. I have had several friends join by printing up business cards on their home computer for a catering company and going in telling the RD counter they are the sole proprietor of a business that they have recently started. My opinion is they really don't care who to whom they sell as long as they sell.

My business is not food related, but I've been shopping there for the last 2 years.
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    hornhonk wrote:
    Do you belong orgs. that are 501c or related exemptions that serve food? Or if you know a card-carrier, you can ask if you can borrow their card...they don't have names on them.

My card has my name it. Maybe I'm special.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    When they opened a new one in Orlando Fl about 8 months ago, I called and said that I did some catering for civic groups etc. The manager said that she would let me shop for one trip cash only. Have not made it yet, but will soon when my surgery recovery is behind me.
  • ShortRIb
    Options
    I used my wife's tax id. She owns her own dental practice. I just told them that we did a lot of catering to our customers. No problems. Got one easily. It is also unbelievable to have. Food is cheap and tax free!!!
  • BuffaloChip
    Options
    Apply for a card through their web page. That's what I did and they asked no questions. My wife owns/operates a beauty salon and all we had to do was show her license at the store. Everything came in the mail and got a $25 coupon.

--Dave
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Rollocks wrote:
    hornhonk wrote:

My card has my name it. Maybe I'm special.

Oops...mine has the organizations' name on it. My mistake :blush:
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    The one on Ellsworth Ind Blvd in Atlanta will let you shop there on a one day pass every day. I've done it quite a bit.
  • TheGrillisGone
    Options
    PhilsGrill,

I have been doing the same thing at the Norcross location. However, I went yesterday and the said they stopped allowing the public to use. I could not shop. :ohmy:

Jim
    Snellville, GA
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    I would call both locations ahead of time to verify now. But the Ellsworth location doesn't care.
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    What does that mean, "what's an honest way around that". I'm from Jersey. No comprende! The idea is to get in. Honesty, whatever that is, I'm sure has nothing to do with it. You're not breaking any laws are you? Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Use your imagination.