Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

long cooking times

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
About to try prime rib, boston butt and green ham. All eggsperts on the forum suggest cooking times in excess of 20 hrs. for these meets. QUESTION #1: Will an initial, generous supply of lump charcoal last 20 + hours? QUESTION #2: Will an initial handful of wood chips be enough?

Comments

• Blaze
    Blaze Posts: 32
    Options
    GaHog,
    Check out http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm for Elder Ward's fire building method. TNW has really put together an excellent and informative site. I use this method with a couple of chunks of hickory on top of a fistful of burning lump to get an excellent initial cold smoke. [p]Blaze[p][p]

• GaHog,
    1 - Read Elder Ward's fire building techniques on the Naked Wiz' web sight. Good fire building will extend time.[p]2 - The type of lump you use makes a difference. Wicked Good apparently burns forever. Others burn faster. All will cook your butt without opening the lid if you build a good fire, and load the lump to the tippy top of the fire box. Some even go a little higher from what I've read. I don't think it is necessary. The guys who know what they are doing always have plenty of lump for a butt.[p]3 - One CHUNK of wood is plenty for me. About fist size. I don't use chips, but I imagine they will be fine as well. Once you get a smoke ring, you don't need to keep smoking your meat. I soak my wood in water for a few hours at least before putting it on the fire. Again, Elder Ward's article on cooking a butt covers this as well I think.

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    GaHog,
    Unless you want an extremely well done Prime Rib, I wouldn't keep it on for twenty hours. The butt possibly; depending on the size etc; never cooked a green ham however.
    Hammer

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    GaHog,
    I have gotten 26 hours out of a load of BGE lump filled to the middle of the fire ring. Had some left, probably could have gone another few hours. THis wa at 210-250 dome temps. Anything over 30 hours, you may want to add some more lump.

• Tom Harmon
    Options
    GaHog,[p]Better question is how you'll handle the variety of the meets w/different cooking times and needs. For example - are you going to sear the prime rib before or after it reaches temperature. Alton Brown recommends that the meat be slow cooked to desired temp less about 10 degrees. Let it rest then sear. Others recommend searing first. All of these factors need to be considered in your cook. You could always sear in oven if necessary!. Perfect excuse for multiple eggs.[p]TLHRTP

• Petear,tlhrtp, bigmikej, Hammer & Blaze,[p]You guys are awesome! I'm late getting started on the BGE 'cause I can't leave Naked Wiz site. You guys helped a lot. Good cooking. Happy Holidays. Thanks a lot.
    GaHog[p]