Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Strip Loin For Christmas

Options
Dave's Not Here
Dave's Not Here Posts: 99
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There's a lot of talk about rib roasts here, but what about striploins?[p]Last year, after only one month of being an Egger, I cooked a whole striploin for Christmas dinner with the neighbors. It was done perfect, but the smoke taste was overwhelming (very bitter, very smokey, used cherry). The taste reminded me of chile or vegetables with way too much liquid smoke added.[p]Much to my surprise, today the neighbor who hosted the event, asked me if I wanted to be the chef again. I guess it wasn't that bad after all.[p]So being a little conservative, here's what I'm thinking. A little salt and pepper, indirect, on a trivit in roasting pan, fat side up, fresh BGE lump, no smoking wood, about 325-350° until 135-140° internal.[p]How to the Eggsperts do a whole strip?

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    That's how I do mine, Dave. I don't add any extra wood for smoking. 350° indirect to an internal temp of 140° in the center and let rest for 30 mins before cutting.[p]Happy Holidays!
    Jim

• Ohio Boy in DC
    Options
    Dave's Not Here,[p]Just a thought, if you pull the roast pan away from the fire you'll be able to deglaze it at the end...[p]Also, I usually start the process by rendering a couple of pieces of Bacon then browning the meat before roasting, gives a nice flavorful char

• Dave's Not Here,[p]Thanks for your story regarding the tenderloin (and to JSlot for followup). I was very pleased with the results I got essentially following your plan. I've had my BGE for about 4 months -- I love cooking on it but it has been frustrating trying to get the kind of results I want.[p]I looked at lot of recipes for tenderloin - in the BGE cookbook and website, Epicurious, others. I think we've got it now. Thanks again.[p]Jim
  • Dave's Not Here
    Options
    Jim Hughen,
    Thanks back. This one turned out absolutely perfect.[p]Cooked 1:45 at between 315° and 330° on upper rack. Took it off at 130° internal in the center. The small end was medium, center was medium rare, and the big end was rare. Everybody got the piece they wanted.[p]Here are before and after pictures. No serving pics ... we just dove in.
    [p]
    StripLoin2358.JPG
    [/p]
    [p]
    StripLoin2361.JPG
    [/p][p][p]