Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

digiQ ll

Options
potatobed409
potatobed409 Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got my DigiQ ll from Fedex today. Going to put it to use this weekend with a big ol butt. Never tried rubbing it down with mustard, cant say that after this weekend. I am going to have the mustard and a heavy dry rub on for about 30hrs before hand. Is that too long?

Comments

• Pickle
    Pickle Posts: 74
    Options
    I think it will turn out just fine.
  • mojo
    mojo Posts: 220
    Options
    Sounds way too long to me, I don't think that will provide any more flavor than if you allow the rub to rest on the butt for just a few hours. Personally, I add the rub and return the butt into the fridge, then I light the egg. Once the egg temp has stabilized, which usually takes around 45 minutes, I then place the butt into the egg. The bark has eggcellent flavor!

Let us know how you like the DigiQ, I'm jonesing for one myself.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    You are going to love your DigiQII, make sure you do not put small peaces of lump on the bottom grate some times they well get clogged up with the small peaces then the fire goes out

Ross
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I doubt I give mine THAT long. :) More like... well, the fire's ready, time to add the rub. :lol: Haven't had a bad one yet!

Never tried mustard either, but there's always a first time.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    The mustard will hold the rub and you will get a good bark without having to allow for a long 'marinade' period.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

If you are letting the rub sit on the meat for 30 hrs. Just before cooking refresh the rub once more - Put a fresh light coating of rub on the meat.

The long rest and the refresh will make the bark wonderful. This same method is fantastic for steaks also and even chicken.

Looking forward to seeing your finished cook, you are taking pictures, right.

GG
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    Options
    You haven't lived a full life until you've rubbed mustard all over your butt!

What mojo and Carolina Q said.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    But I get that without the mustard... or the waiting. :) One of these days, I'll try it though. Man, I'm gettin' hungry!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    You will love the digiQ. I have never let my butts sit for longer than a hour. I have always done it like mojo.
    Let us know how it comes out.
  • Rib Fan
    Rib Fan Posts: 305
    Options
    I have done it both ways. Left the rub on overnight and then cooked and also put rub on an hour or so before they hit the egg. I honestly could not tell any difference in the final product. If you re-applied another coating after the waiting period this might add to the bark....

Wayne
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Ahhhhhh Mustard Moisturizer! I usually add some worchestshire to my mustard. Everyone has their thing. You'll find your way of doing it. Just don't crack open the beer too early in the process...you can forget steps. :P