Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Roast Bone in...and?

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked up this hunk-o-beef at the store yesterday, being overcome by a 50% off sign. It says rib roast bone in. It looks like a bunch of rib steaks not yet steaked...actually a small standing rib roast. It's maybe 4.5 lb max. Something about it looks prime ribby, but yet not. Should I leave this as a roast and do it prime-rib style or cut it into individual steaks?

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Prime rib style, Molly. I have a ten pounder dry aging in the bottom of the fridge now for Christmas day.[p]Happy Holidays!
    Jim

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    LinkPhoto?GUID=785a5857-5e36-14d5-4764-2df14904445e&size=lg
    <p />MollyShark,
    definitely keep the bones in. . .you may have gotten the shorter end of the whole rib roast. ...i bought a 7 bone in last saturday at costco, and when you see a whole one like that, there is a marked difference between the two ends of the roast. . .but it is the same meat. . .so do it up nice, you will just have slices that are a little smaller in diameter. .. .[p]here's a pick of the one i did last saturday, rubbed in olive oil, kosher salt, herbs de provence and fresh rosemary. . .yumm[p]cheers

• TF1
    TF1 Posts: 16
    Options
    MollyShark,
    a question: to do a standing rib roast, should I "sear" at a high temp for a short period and then slow cook? what is the best way to cook a 3-4 bone standing rib roast?

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    primes%20cut.JPG
    <p />TF1,[p]Here's how I do them.[p]Good luck![p]TRex
    [ul][li]Prime Rib[/ul]
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    TF1,[p]Can't disagree with TRex on this one. There are various rubs you can do, though, if you want something other than the salt pepper. Dunno who Chris is, but I've done this countless times and it is a winner every time:[p]CHRIS'S HERBED ROAST
    2 tablespoon(s) Basil, fresh
    2 tablespoon(s) Oregano, chopped
    2 tablespoon(s) Parsley, fresh, chopped
    2 tablespoon(s) Rosemary, fresh
    2 tablespoon(s) Garlic, crushed
    1 tablespoon Black pepper
    1 1/2 tablespoon(s) Salt
    4 tablespoon(s) Olive oil[p]Mix all ingredients into a paste and apply to roast. Let sit overnight.