Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone in NY Strip Primal

Options
FrankC
FrankC Posts: 416
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone,

I just got a call from my wife telling me that the local market is selling choice, bone in NY strip roasts for $3.99 a pound.

Does anyone have any experience with this primal? What would you use to cut it, assuming you don't have a food grade band saw?

Any thoughts?

fc :)

Comments

• highpress
    highpress Posts: 694
    Options
    If you have a Cabella's or Bass pro shops you could get a "bone saw".. Used for hunting, it will cut ... you guessed it.. bone. There are different makes/models, find one that suites your needs. Other than that i'm thinking you could use a hacksaw just clean and sterilize the blade real well. Both fairly cheap.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    why not just take a sharp knife and trim the meat away from the bone?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    on second read of your post are you sure that is the price of a sub-primal? Locally Kroger has been selling bone in strips for that price already cut and packaged as steaks.
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    RRP wrote:
    on second read of your post are you sure that is the price of a sub-primal? Locally Kroger has been selling bone in strips for that price already cut and packaged as steaks.

I'm sure, my wife said the roast was $63. I'm thinking that I may want to debone it before I try dry aging it.

Do you have any info on where you got your dry aging bags?

fc :)
  • I think the primal cut is called a 2x3? and includes the tenderloin. It is difficult to cut the NY away from the bone and get nice uniform steaks unless you have had some practice. But the chunks that you missed when you cut it are some good eats. My friend Harry brings these big cuts of meat to me I let him cut it or its hamburger if I do it.
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    Hack saw will do. Also Bass Pro shop has a nice butchering set in a case for 19.99 has a saw cleaver and boning knife.
  • RRP
    Options
    I would debone first as well! Here's the Drybag site:
    http://www.drybagsteak.com/