Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey in the Egg?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can you BBQ a 25Lb Turkey in this thing? if so, I'm there!
[ul][li]Christopher[/ul]

Comments

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Christopher,[p]If you can fit it in, you can do it. I always brine my turkeys for a day before in some good stuff with maple syrup (e me if you want the recipe) and stick it on a v-rack with a drip pan below. I usually toss some juice or a beer or whatever I didn't drink in the drip pan. I rarely use chips because turkey absorbs a LOT of smoke flavor. You can overdo it easily. I don't cover mine because the skin can get kind of gummy. I do a 325 dome and found it pretty much follows oven timing for turkey. Even people who don't care much for turkey will like it...and don't be shocked if you see some pink even when up to internal temps. I always have a smoke ring of pink which spooks some people for a second thinking pink = raw.[p]mShark
  • Carolina Wizard
    Options
    Christopher,
    I have to share a good experience with ya. [p]This past Thanksgiving I managed the best fresh turkey on my egg that I've ever done. I just don't think it could have been any better. Not trying to brag.[p]I rinsed and dried the bird on the outside and stuck uncovered in the frige 24 hours to let the skin dry up a little. (Makes for a crisper skin). [p]Upon removal from fridge, we inserted a quartered whole orange, onion quarters, olive oil, two bay leaves, Kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, a few chunks of cream butter, (Not blah margarine). Then we covered the outside with olive oil, Kosher salt and ground pepper. I injected the bird with some of that commercial cajun and butter stuff available at any grocery. [p]
    Started the egg with natural coal and about 8 chunks of apple wood that I cut off the tree in my garden. Put the bird on the v rack over a pan of water (I had some apple juice in a can that I poured in the pan too), in the egg we targeted a dome temp of about 300 to 325 and allowed approx 15-20 min per lb. until I read a breast temperature of 165 degrees with my Polder. [p]Once I got that temp. I close all vents and shut down the egg and let the bird sit inside for another 15 min. just to let the temp equalize. (We've had a few times when you cut into the turkey and found a bloody juice down deep inside, rather Whole time on the egg was about 3 hours.
    unpleasant!) [p]We brought the turkey into the house and covered with foil and let her rest for 30 min. to let juices settle. [p]Best I've ever tasted...bar none. Hope that helps![p]

• Christopher,
    I did a 20.4 pound bird this Thansgiving. It barely fit. It fact we had to remove the inverted platesetter and sit the pan on pizza stone.
    I'm brining (as we type) a 14# bird and will put it on tomorrow morning. Serving it with Brisket that was cooked yesterday. I wouldn't do a bird bigger than 17-18# in my Large BGE. BTW, using a brine suggested for a Kamado, hope that doesn't offend.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Barry,[p]When I use the inverted setter, I remove the grill, put the inverted setter on the fire ring,drip pan,grill and then the turkey right on the grill.[p]I don't use a "V" rack but do have a very thin turkey wire rack with movable handles that allows me to just lift it out when ready.[p][p]Thanks and Happy Holidays,
    New Bob

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Barry,[p]First, ignore my post below, I wrote it in my email program and did a cut and paste and left part of it out. "old age"[p]
    Wondering, if you removed the inverted plate setter,what did you put the pizza stone on???[p]When I use the inverted setter, I remove the grill, put the inverted setter on the fire ring,drip pan,grill and then the turkey right on the grill. [p]I don't use a "V" rack but do have a very thin turkey wire rack with movable handles that allows me to just lift it out when ready. [p]
    Thanks and Happy Holidays,
    New Bob [p][p]