Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where Do You Keep Your Egg(s)?

RiverFarm
RiverFarm Posts: 216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do eggs need to be kept outside? We had planned to put ours on a brick patio next to my studio, across the driveway from the house, but I'm wondering if it would work on a screened porch. That's where we have our gas grill, and it's handy because it keeps you out of the rain and away from the bugs. But I had assumed that the egg would be too smoky for that. Or too something... We're awaiting our egg this week.

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Hi, in the summer ours are in the gazebo and the end of oct we move them to the back screened porch. I hate shoveling snow that far to get to them. :) we have not had smoke issues and use them about every night or at least 5 nights a week in the winter. now we fixed the problem big time and just go to Florida winters :)
  • RiverFarm
    Thanks, Mainegg! So the smoke doesn't affect the screens in your porch? That would be a lot easier, if we could keep it there. Do you have it any particular distance from the wall? I haven't seen location mentioned anywhere in the literature but pictures show it outside.

Why do you keep it in the gazebo in the summer? Is that just because you like to eat there? Any reason why it couldn't stay on the porch? And how easy is it to move a large BGE?
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning RiverRat:

Click on the link below "SSN686's BGE website" and you can see where mine are now and where they were before doing the outdoor kitchen. HTH

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• RiverFarm
    Jay, what a gorgeous setup! Doesn't the smoke mess up your screens, though?
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning RiverRat:

Not that I have noticed. I just use a pressure washer every few months to wash everything down. When the Eggs were on the old porch, the metal roof did get some smoke stain, but the new kitchen hasn't been a problem. Of course the metal roof was only about 3 feet from the top of the Egg so that was understandable.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    For now, I keep mine in the garage and pull them out as needed.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Riverrat, I have mine setup like so right next to the old gasser...
    Porch080408-1.jpg

I do have spark mats underneath which you can get at Lowe's for a few bucks each and I keep a close eye on sparks especially during lighting..also a good idea to keep a fire extinguisher close by just in case but all of these are safety tips you should always follow...I have not seen any problem with the smoke clogging in the screens and only very minimal darkening of the ceiling from the smoke (the ceiling is probably 6ft above the top of the egg)...
  • RiverFarm
    That's interesting, Eggtucky. It looks like you have yours on a wooden floor, under that spark mat. Our porch has a concrete floor, but the house siding is cedar. I wonder how far from that we should keep it if we do have the egg on the porch.

You have barbecue heaven there, don't you? What a handy set up!
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    I have a Cedar table and put in a heat shield. The back and sides of the table don't heat up at all.
    Eggtable-1.jpg
  • RiverFarm
    That's a nice table! Is the heat shield the metal insert? I read all the warnings in The Naked Whiz and it looked like the eggs could get pretty hot, so I wondered. We're getting a nest for ours; I don't know if that changes things or not.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    four of them are in my comp trailer, two are in the shed and three on my front porch..
  • RiverFarm
    Celtic Wolf, is your front porch screened? And when are you getting your tenth? :laugh: What DO you do with all of those eggs???
  • Celtic Wolf
    No screens
    newhome-1.jpg

I cook stuff..
    turkey-1.jpg

Seriously check out the American Spirit BBQ link in my signature to see what I do with all my eggs.
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Awww, Pete, you disappointed me. I was sure the picture would be of all your eggs in the back of the truck ready to "roll". :lol:
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Celtic Wolf
    Only seven of them roll.. Humpty and Miss Penny stay on the porch..

Four of them would be in the trailer anyway.
  • Mine are in "The Nest" they used to be as you go out the back door Enjoy your new egg.

DSCN4172.jpg
  • What :ohmy: :woohoo: a great setup that is!!!

Doug
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Very nice set-up Susan, way to go.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Thanks guys! I have a few more things left to do but having fun cookin :)
  • Susan,
    I'm shedding a tear looking out at my lonely BGE. You ROCK.
  • RiverFarm
    That's a terrific set up, for sure. I take it that that's a screened-in area? What do you have left to do? And again, what do you do with all the eggs?

Our dealer said ours would be in this week but he only has one more day to go....

We had thought we would need a small gas grill to compensate for losing the side burner and porch convenience of our Blue Flame barbecue, but if we can have the egg on the porch I guess we don't need one. Can you use the egg to fry Italian peppers with garlic in a cast iron pan? That's a good thing to be able to do on the porch, especially in the summer when it's warm outside.
    Leslie
  • RiverRat wrote:
    That's a terrific set up, for sure. I take it that that's a screened-in area? What do you have left to do? And again, what do you do with all the eggs?

Our dealer said ours would be in this week but he only has one more day to go....

We had thought we would need a small gas grill to compensate for losing the side burner and porch convenience of our Blue Flame barbecue, but if we can have the egg on the porch I guess we don't need one. Can you use the egg to fry Italian peppers with garlic in a cast iron pan? That's a good thing to be able to do on the porch, especially in the summer when it's warm outside.
    Leslie
    No, it is not screened in. We do not have much of a bug problem here. I am going to put a tile runner in front of the eggs,the TV will be in a cabinet & come off the rafters,water fall, chiminea area .... :laugh: :laugh: Once you get your egg, they are just so much fun you want MORE!
  • RiverFarm
    We have some mosquitoes, the occasional greenhead, and gnats in their season, so screens are essential in our area. We're on a river so that keeps the critters down because of the breezes, but it still makes it nicer to have that protection.

It does look as though people can have eggs on screened areas, so I think we'll try that. Can you use the egg as a side burner, too, and fry garlic peppers in olive oil on it, or doesn't that work well? We're still trying to decide if we need the extra little gas grill.

A waterfall area too? Omigosh! We have a pond with a waterfall outside our porch, but it's outside, not inside!