Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken / Flat Iron

Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight's cook:

We are hosting several people Friday night for pre-marathon carb loading and need chicken for one of the lasagnas. What better than spatchcock chicken? Well, since I had to go to the trouble to cook 2 chickens, why not four?
The two (lower rack) for the lasagna were seasoned with Dizzy Pig Shaking the Tree rub, the top rack pair for the freezer, had John Henry Apple Chipotle Rub (a gift from a co-worker and my first use of this).
DSC_0037.jpg
First rack done (Dr Butt approves):
DSC_0039.jpg
Perfect !
DSC_0040.jpg
Lots of chicken!
DSC_0042-1.jpg
Hard to resist and not have a bite:
DSC_0044-1.jpg
Now for tonight's dinner. I saw a flat iron at the store when buying the chickens and since we've never had one, why not? Per Little Chef's recommendation, I marinaded in merlot, garlic, S&P, then seared at 500*, flipped and pulled at 125* internal.
DSC_0045.jpg
DSC_0053.jpg
Rested, then sliced. The Princess had hers over a salad with blue cheese, I had mine plated with a couple of small taters I snuck under the top rack of chickens.
DSC_0058.jpg

Comments