Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

liquid smoke

Chainsmoker
Chainsmoker Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is liquid smoke, what do "eggheads" use it for, and where can I get some?

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    chainsmoker,[p]Liquid smoke is a refined product obtained by condensing smoke; you can find it in various tastes: hickory, mesquite, pecan, etc. It's usually in the liquid seasonings (worcestershire, etc.) section of the supermarket. Also available online.[p]Some Eggers use it, some don't. I think it's most commonly put in marinades, sauces, etc. rather than being applied directly.[p]Ken
  • BlueSmoke,
    I am trying to come up with a homemade Q-sauce. I was thinking about adding some liquid smoke. What do you think? Any suggestions would be helpful. So far, what I've come up with is too ketchupy and vinegary.
    Ryan

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    chainsmoker,
    I prefer not using liquid smoke. You can get more flavor from the egg. Try a batch of your sauce, split in 1/2, add liquid smoke to 1 half and leave the other without.Then pass it around for criticism. Some people actually dislike the whole meal if they detect liquid smoke was used. JMHO

• BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Chef Wil,[p]I agree with you. Liquid smoke tastes very bitter to me and leaves an after-taste. [p]BOB
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    chainsmoker,
    Liquid smoke is incredibly potent so if you do try it (Chef Wil had a very apt suggestion), don't add much.[p]As far as catsup-y, vinegar-y sauce, I'd recommend comparing your recipe to some others. You might get an idea how to remedy the problem, and if nothing else see the ingredient ratios other people have used. Recipe Source has a ton of recipes.[p]Ken

[ul][li]Recipe Source[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    chainsmoker,
    if your looking for a smokey flavor in your sauce maybe you may want to simmer it in the egg with smoke. stir it often and the smoke will will infuse in the sauce. i have never cooked with liquid smoke but it sounds like a trick ingredient, like making ribs in a crock pot.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Chef Wil,
    I think we've done this dance before here on this forum, but Liquid Smoke is just that; harvested smoke from actual burning logs of the species listed on the label; ie mesquite or hickory. The deal is that is very concentrated, which makes people think it's an artificial or manufactured flavor. It IS real smoke in a bottle per se. It is easily and often over-used. With restrained use, it does have its place in sauces and oven-cooked food where a bbq 'essence' is desired. It is not artificial or man-made (although the harvesting is done in a man-made environment); it's real smoke essence in a bottle. Most folks just over-use the stuff and thus the bitterness; same as if you smoke anything in an overly smoke-saturated environment!
    Qfan

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    BBQfan1,
    never heard the song so I am sure I missed the dance. I did not say Liquid Smoke is artificial or that it wasn't good by any means, but is exactly as you stated, for smoked flavor using an oven environment. Purpose of the green egg was to save on Liquid Smoke and turn the stove into an entertainment center in the kitchen. Merry Christmas to all.

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Chef Wil,
    Agreed. I'm surely not one to defend Liquid Smoke over the 'real thing', just the comment that "some folks will refuse to eat a meal if they detect that Liquid Smoke was used" gives the impression that LS has a unique 'detectable' taste of it's own, i.e. artificial. It's the real deal; just often over-applied; just like cheap perfume at the retirement home!
    Qfan

• chainsmoker,
    I'll chime in here on that to say...by all means use it for barbecue sauce. I go to a restaurant that has their's in ketchup type squeese bottles and I just sat and eat my sandwich with one hand and put that stuff on every bite with the other. When I make it at home everybody likes it and I don't think I have every used the same combination of stuff.. the basics I use are #1 liquid smoke and they are right just maybe 6 - 8 drops for a couple cups of sauce, ketchup, worchestershire, hot sauce, blk pepper, celerey seed , vinagar, water to thin to the consistency that is thin enought to go through one of them squirt bottles after you simmer it a while , don't forget you got to mix all that up before you start to heat it or it will separate....learned that last part the hard way....