Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

butt advice please

otisdog
otisdog Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got home with 4 7lb butts. I need to cook three for an event Saturday but I'm thinking of putting the 4th on just in case the crowd exceeds my expectations.
I have a large with no extender or guru. I expect three butts to cook about like 1 (all I've cooked so far) but I'm concerned about the impact on cook time and temp control of crowding on four. Should I be?

Comments

• Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    It will be the same as 1.
    IMG_8393.jpg
    I just used a old grill and some threaded rod and nuts to get a second level. I used stainless steel. They get coated the first cook so plain steel should be fine. just don't use galvanized.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    It can be done, but I would recommend against it without some type of temp control. You will be up all night chasing temps.

You should do what Kokeman suggest and build a 2nd tier.

With enough separation plan the cook on the heaviest, and start checking based on the lightest.
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Leave space between the butts and the circulation will keep the cook time to about 1.5-2 hours per pound at about 275 dome.