Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

freezing rosemary?

fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,671
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
does it hold up well in the freezer, had to trim my plant to bring indoors for the colder weather. broke a big branch, hope it doesnt kill the plant, had it about 10 years now and it does not like it indoors and barely survives some winters.
was hoping to fill a jar for the freezer and maybe some branches for skewers and for smoking wood

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• That's a nice bush - must be from drinking Bud Lite.

I would think freezing rosemary would work mightyfine.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    That's a great use for Bud Light...water the plants with it...LOL
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Mine didn't even survive ONE winter indoors. But now I have lots of dried rosemary. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    No problem at all.Wash and blot dry then into a zip lock bag.They will for one year or more.My bush bears herbs all year long even when there is snow on the ground.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    fishlessman,

Nice tree! Back with the Bud Light again eh? :ohmy:

STeve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Wow, that's a great plant, we never had any luck growing Rosemary.

The First Mate dries herbs in the microwave, I know you don't have one. She washes them, separates the leaves and microwaves them in small batches. Maybe rent a motel room one night and use theirs.
  • fishlessman
    was going to strip some for a canning jar and freeze, was wondering if anyone ever froze the whole branches for making skewers for kabobs.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    good to know. i dont like pruning this in the dead of winter, they can be touchy to grow up here
    fukahwee maine

• Fishless,

If you keep feeding that thing Bud Light, it might die of a broken heart. I think a handsome rosemary plant like that could use some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'm not sure about the freezing, but am definitely interested in seeing some helpful replies.

Joe
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Darian,

That's what ends up happening with it anyway ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    they are a pain to grow up here indoors. there is a 10000 watt metal halide light in the kitchen and a humidifier that puts out about 10 gallons a day. the boys in blue knock on the door occasionally to see whats growing B)
    fukahwee maine

• The rosemary leaves freeze solid at my place all the time (I leave it in the garden and the garden turns into a freezer and it turns black). It's outside, but I would guess it would still turn black in the freezer. The sticks should be fine.

Doug.
  • fishlessman
    i found basil turns black in the freezer, still tastes like fresh if used in soups stews and sauce, never tried the rosemary, but may be similar
    fukahwee maine

• Do you have further details on how she dries them in the M-wave I have a bunch of herbs right now that could use that treatment.

Doug
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i have never tried to freeze it.. but 8 years ago when i got my first one i left it outside and i left it near the overhang of the apartment... well we had freezing rain and it got incased in the water i brought it inside to thaw it out.. it thawed and turned brown. i kept it (for some reason) and next spring it greened right up.. of course it does not get as cold here as it does there but from what i understand it is really hard to kill..

i am in the process of trying to kill mine... not that i am trying but someohow it is happening

DSCN1118.jpg

DSCN1115.jpg

this is what they looked like when i asked a question about my rosemary.. (i can't find the thread) but i think you told me to use fish emuliser {sp} i did and here is what they look like today

2009-10-14001.jpg

2009-10-14002.jpg

sadly they were both the same size when i transplanted them into each bed.. so if you have anymore advice i am all ears...

P.S. wooohooo i can post pictures again :)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• fishlessman
    maybe one side is holding more water in the ground. lost half of mine 2 years ago to root rot. dry air idoors seems to kill them as well but this year was all about the rain
    fukahwee maine

• Try blanching the basil in boiling water for just a second or two, and then immediately cooling it in ice water. Then freeze it. Should preserve the green color.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i will have to dig some of that away next spring in the hopes that it dries some. i know the big one grew by leaps and bounds this year the other one just died more :woohoo: :pinch:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• I don't know what part of the country you live but I would cut it off, hang it up to dry and then cut the leaves and package and throw away the branches .
    Rosemary doesn't do well inside.it will probably develope powdery mildue which is undesirable for eating.
    It grows like weeds in tropical climates.But where it freezes treat it like an annual.
    You will get a lot of dried rosamary out of that bush.
    Jon
  • Cpt'n Cook
    She washes them, pulls of the leaves and dries them wrapped in a towel. Puts the leaves in a fairly thin layer on a M Wave bacon plate and gives them 2 mins. on high. She then scrumbles them around a bit and gives them another minute. They are generally dry by then, if not give them another min. She lets them cool and either crumbles them up or puts the whole leaf in a jar. We have a carousel M Wave, might make a difference. She says they dry a little quicker the more you do as the Bacon platter gets hotter.

We don't refrigerate them

Go for it :)
  • Cpt'n Cook
    A lot of people use the branches for skewers.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Fortunately my bushes here in Florida are not at a great risk of freezing. I like to trim and dry the leaves and save the branches for skewers or smoke with lamb.

here is something I just found and looks interesting for a beverage.

Beverage, Look Better Naked Margarita

The Look Better Naked Margarita, created by Adam Seger of the National 27 Restaurant in Chicago, is designed to be a healthier cocktail option. The majority of the ingredients are either organic, fresh or both and their paired with one great tequila.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 1/2 oz Partida Estate Reposado Tequila
    1/2 oz Samazon Pure Organic Acai
    3/4 oz Partida Organic Agave Nectar
    4" sprig rosemary (top inch reserved for garnish)
    1/2 oz organic egg white
    1 lime, fresh squeezed
    organic salt for rimming
    fresh, cracked organic green peppercorns for rimming

Procedure:
    1 Sambazon Organic Acai- berry juice filled with antioxidants and healthy omega fats
    2 Agave Nectar- alternative to sugar syrups with fewer calories but all the sweetness
    3 Rosemary- rich in Vitamin E to help prevent cancer and skin damage
    4 Organic Egg White- full source of protein
    5 Fresh Lime Juice- filled with Vitamin C and helps prevent heart disease

7 Rim a 10 ounce cocktail glass with equal parts organic salt and fresh cracked organic green peppercorns.
    8 Remove rosemary leaves from the woody stem and muddle in a 16 ounce pint glass until aromatic.
    9 Add the liquid ingredients and transfer to a cocktail shaker.
    10 Shake vigorously until the shaker is frosted.
    11 Strain into the chilled, rimmed glass.
    12 Float a 1" rosemary sprig on top.

Recipe Type
    Beverage, Cocktail

Recipe Source
    Source: Internet, 2009/10/14
  • Herb is a Herb, is a Herb, is a Herb....
    Snip it from the pant, tie it with a butches / kitchen string, hang it up-side down in a and dark, cool, dry place to dry (needs to be crunchy dry)!!Once it is dry, strip it from the stem, and put it in a jar…Store in a cool dry place!
  • fishlessman
    i think im going to soak some of the branches and then freeze, i like lamb skewers. never thought to mix it with tequila, sounds interesting, this we can do B) i already have a bunch dried for the smoke, i like fresh better on food so some will be frozen to try
    fukahwee maine