Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Uncle Don....

Options
WokOnMedium
WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bear with me, its quite a saga but he's stubborn and that's as good a reason as any to poke fun at him.
I visited my family, talked about my stop at Hawgeye BBQ, and brought the mini to cook them a good steak.
He had the normal questions and then decided that before the weekend was out I was going to help him smoke some chicken in his old steel Father's Day present. The main issue was that the vent had no adjustments. We used foil to cover some of the vents. The temp still got away from us so we made a skirt out of flashing and got a handle on it.
Chickens turned out pretty good. When I suggested we cover them to rest, he felt it was unnecessary. OK, chickens were good.
Two weeks later he came to visit me for the first time ever, I made ribs and I think that inspired him. He made his own visit to Hawgeye BBQ and decided to make his own ribs.
When I arrived in his driveway on the big day at 3pm (right on schedule) he met me to ask what took me so long and relived the whole awful afternoon amid all the curse words. Apparently he was chasing temp, forgot about the foil, walked away for 15 minutes and thought one of his neighbors was smoking pot. Pretty brave for someone to be doing that in his neighborhood. Then he realized that maybe it wasn't pot but his ribs. Yep, when he arrived there was blackish yellowish smoke billowing through his backyard.
The ribs were in foil, I pulled them and placed them in the oven. He put out the fire and threw the now paintless unit in the trash and vowed that he is done with that little hobby! As I watched him carry his smoker across the yard, his flip flop broke. He continued on kicking the flip flop in front of him as he went.
He "will not spend the money to buy a friggin egg." He's just done!
The ribs actually came out pretty well. He wouldn't have anything to do with them.
Brinkman designed a bad product...a cheap bad product, and he's stubborn. I think next time I visit I'll bring a Butt!

Comments