Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My family hates me now!!!!

zipur74
zipur74 Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I pumped the family up on my big cook. The plan was simple my son is bringing several of his college friends over for a meal and hanging out. Our friends have been bugging me about my new Green toy which I talk about daily. My wife wanted to know why I’m spending so much money on a new smoker and what am I gonna do with the old Weber Smoke Mountain and the add-on I purchased for that. And then what about the Weber Gasser.
So I planned to Brisket on the EGG and since it so good at slow an go I added a Pork Butt. The Webber Smoke Mountain would handle four slabs of ribs. And to top it off the Weber Gasser would do two chickens, burgers and veggies.
Started with the marinate 36 hours, Dry rub, Filled up the cookers. Then go the chimney roaring and BAMB temp locked in at Big Green 265 WSM 260—310 floating. Smoked for 3 hours, then foiled for two hours then cooked for another 90min.
Long Story short, Rib – fell apart like sand, Brisket warm leather Pork Butt o.k but under seasoned and a bit chewy. So the entire evening was blown the dog was happy and the guest ate burgers….

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    If I read this correctly - you tried to do a brisket and a pork butt in 6.5 hours at 265*?

Your stuff wasn't done - which is why it was dry, leathery, and chewy. Briskets and butts need to get into the 185*+ range before they become moist, tender, and delicious. Butts are much happier above 195*.

Lots of info on this site. Read up and learn and ask specific question before your next attempt (and don't be quite so ambitious) and the talent on here can help you learn from this and get better on your next try.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    agreeing with Fidel here...it would have to be a really small butt to have gotten to 195+ in 6.5 hours.

Also, what did you marinate.
  • bobSTL
    bobSTL Posts: 105
    So sorry the family is mad, but the dog is happy :huh:

I'm new to this, and I may be missing something, but when I do a pork butt, I cook at dome temp of 250 indirect for 10/11 hrs. Have had good luck with that. I'm sure others will help out more.
    Good Luck on future cooks.
    Bob
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I agree with Fidel because he pays me to.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    If you cooked a brisket and pork butt on the Egg
    for the same times as your ribs I can see the problem.
    3 hours smoked, 2 hours foiled and 90 min unfoiled.
    Your 3 hours warmed it up, your 2 in foil boiled all the moisture out and the 90 min dried up what moisture was left. Brisket is normally cooked low and slow to break down the meat and foiled at the end to rest for an hour or two. Please take some time and read some of the posts on this forum and visit some of the great web sites many of these cooks have put together. It will be well worth your time.
    You got some reading ahead of you or you need to get more dogs.LOL
    Work on one main hunk of meat at a time. Soon you will be tossing on everything like you were trying to whip up this time.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Recommend you geaux check out this site

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html

You won't geaux wrong following Third Eye's processes
  • Did my 1st butt last weekend 250 for 15 hours for 8lb butt, turned out great! You can't rush perfection, atleast that's what I tell my wife :laugh: