Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving with my Parents

Options
Chef Charles
Chef Charles Posts: 871
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am finally getting around to posting some pictures of this weekend's cooks. My Mom and Dad came up for the weekend. They are in their mid to late 80's and have been having some health issues of late. I'm not sure just how many more times they will make it up this way so I wanted to cook up some good food.

I started on Saturday with breakfast on the egg. I did up some peameal bacon with a spice rub -- cooked it at 275 indirect till it his 160 internal.

Baconongrill.jpg

Here it is being sliced

Finishedbacon.jpg

I also cooked up some eggs with some green onions, red pepper and cheddar cheese all baked in muffin tins.

CookedEggs.jpg

On Saturday night, I did the cook with my throwdown side Improvised Scallop Potatoes. It was served with steak and asparagus.

DinnerPlated.jpg

On Sunday, we did up Thanksgiving dinner. Here is the guest of honour:

Turkeypreped.jpg

Turkeyongrill.jpg

On Monday, I did up one of our favourites -- lagagne. It all starts with roasting some tomatoes and garlic that will be used in the sauce:

RoastingTomatoes.jpg

Here is the sauce with all the ingredients:

Thesauce.jpg

Here is the prepped lasagne:

Lasagne.jpg

Finally, here is the finished product minus a few pieces:

FinishedLasagne.jpg

It was a real special weekend -- just the way Thanksgiving is supposed to be.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    That's cool!You are a great son.Enjoy while you can! ;)
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Thats a great looking weekend Tom, good looking food all the way through. The best times with family are so very worth while.

Doug
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    Looks great Tom!

Interesting idea with the eggs - I love eggs and often wondered how to do them on the egg. There's one idea. Of Course what good are eggs if there's no back bacon...

Steaks, turkey and lasagna - you were a busy man!

Great to see good cooks.

Michael
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    every year is another set of memories to store away :)good looking cook too :)
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Nothing like a Holiday with the family, can't wait for our Thanksgiving next month. Bread dressing is my favorite (hold back corn bread lovers). Since I got my BGE (18 months ago) I make tomato soup and spaghetti sauce with fresh produce from scratch on the egg routinely. Would you mind elaborating on the Lasagna a little, it looks really good.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Chef Charles, Your meals look great. I agree with Hoss and Doug. Enjoy you parents while you can. As far as that gos enjoy your whole family and friends. We all get one go-around then we go back to the earth. So, make the best of every day. Tim
  • Aunt Crazy
    Options
    How lovely! One of my family's favorite meals on the BGE when they visit is lasagne. And the man loves turkey. I am sure your parents appreciate your effort-and the delicious food!
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Thanks Hoss,

There is nothing like family.

Tom

Tom

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Chef Charles
    Options
    Thanks Doug,

Your feast looked pretty good too Doug. It was worth the effort!

Tom

Tom

• Chef Charles
    Options
    Hey Michael,

The egg trick works pretty well. I think there is some experimentation possible. You are right about bacon -- it goes with everything :laugh: .

Tom

Tom

• Chef Charles
    Options
    2Fategghead,

The lasagne recipe is pretty classic with my little twist. I take 6-8 roma or vine tomatoes and split them in half. I also break up a head of garlic into individual cloves. I add some olive oil, chile flakes, thyme and oregeno and roast on the egg for about 1 hour indirect at 375 to 400 -- I usually add some wood chips such as hickory to give a bit of a smoky flavour. Once done, I whiz it all up in the food processor and add to a combination of ground beef, red peppers, onions and mushrooms. The lagagne itself is a layer of sauce, noodles, sauce, cottage cheese (or ricotta or both :evil: ), noodles, sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese. It then gets cooked on the egg for 45 minutes or so at 375 dome (indirect).

Tom

Tom

• Chef Charles
    Options
    So true Julie ... thankfully memories last a lifetime.

Tom

Tom

• Chef Charles
    Options
    They did indeed Aunt Crazy. In fact this morning my Mom was joking that they had decided to move in here rather than go back to the retirement home.

Tom

Tom

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Tom,

Both my parents are gone. Treasure every moment with them. Did they like the egged food?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chef Charles
    Options
    You know Gunnar,

The nice thing about being Canadian is that we can celebrate two Thanksgivings -- ours along with yours. I always look forward to the Thanksgiving NFL games :):) .

Tom

Tom

• Chef Charles
    Options
    My parents love egged food. My mom asked about the turkey before coming up and when I told her the size she said that it would fit perfectly on the egg :laugh: :laugh: . She did find it somewhat surprising that the lagane was cooked on the egg.

Tom

Tom

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Tom, Thank you I copied that down. Tim
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Tom, Those are some nice cooks and what a wonderful way to spend time with your parents. I lost my mom two years ago. My dad is in his mid 80's too but he lives in the East.
    -Gary
    canuckland
  • The BGE is such a versatile cooker, I think there are looks of things that are possible - I suppose the only limits are the size of our eggs and more importantly - our imaginations.

Keep up the good work!

Michael
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    I think you are awesome,my parents are right at 80 and to put that effort out means they raised you right.Good job on the cook and enjoy your folks .

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    What a great set of cooks and pics. MMMMMM peameal bacon!