Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oyster Skillet Recipe

Fritz
Fritz Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Please remember this is from Chef Emeril Lagasse's LOUISIANA REAL AND RUSTIC cookbook. Buy it, you will like it. I am convinced he could do wonders on a BGE.[p]Here is my take on his recipe:[p]Get a cast iron skillet out and heat it up well on the stove over medium to medium-high heat.[p]First make a roux. Do this with 1/2 stick of butter (NOT margarine) and 1 Tbls. of flour. Get the butter hot, add the flour and stir for about 2 minutes or so, you want a blonde roux here.[p]Now add some sliced onions, about 3 medium ones, some salt and pepper to taste. Cook till the onions look wonderful (read soft and slightly browned). Add some chopped garlic (I use about 4 Tbls from a jar, you can use about six cloves if you want, the more the merrier), some chopped green onions (2) and parsley (3 Tbls). Continue to stir and cook for another 2 or 3 minutes. Now add a cup of chicken broth and Worcestershire and Tabasco to taste. Bring this to a boil, recuce the heat and let it cook for five minutes.[p]In a bowl add 3/4 cup of bread crumbs, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, some more parsley, your favorite spice rub, a tsp each of dried oregano and basil, a 1/2 tsp of thyme, about 2 Tbls of olive oil and 1 Tbls of lemon juice.[p]After the skillet mixture has cooked for its five minutes, add another Tbls of lemon juice to it and a pint of oysters. Mix this well and remove it from the heat. [p]Now spread that bread crumb mixture over the oysters in the skillet.[p]Place this in a 450* BGE and bake for 15 minutes.[p]Emeril says to eat this with hot french bread and cold beer. He is right.[p]Enjoy.[p]Fritz

Comments

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Thanks; I can just hear him saying it all in his Buffalo, New York/ New Orleans accent.
    It sounds like my scalloped oyster recipe taken up a notch or ten! You know, Fritz, I cook all kinds of stuff in cast iron skillets on the BGE - it might be fun to do the whole recipe on the egg. Now I'm hankerin' for oysters & just drank all the Beck's.
    (Try Ritz crackers instead of bread crumbs next time).
    Bone appétit! Julie

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    J Appledog,[p]I use Ritz crackers in my Dad's famous "Oysters and Eggs" dish. It is a very simple dish that is a scramble.[p]Fritz
  • Fritz,,,,,,,,,,,,BAM!