Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chipotles

Options
J Appledog
J Appledog Posts: 1,046
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Fat Man & Little Boy, my "green bombs", as my mother calls them, are doing double duty today. Chipotles on the big one while the mini awaits boudin sent to me by Cajun friends.[p]As I was stemming & seeding the jalapeños I thought I'd share my method with those of you who haven't yet smoked jalapeños. It is not absolutely necessary to stem & seed the peppers but I do. I find that I can use them for more things when I take the extra time. [p]I always wear rubber gloves and work outside. I cut off the stems & cut the peppers in half lenghthwise. Then I use a woodcutting tool I have from art class to scrape out the seeds. Place them on the grill and smoke low & slow until they are dark & crisp but not burnt. Now you have chipotles.[p]Bone appétit! JCA[p]

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]Great information, thanks. The garden is starting to produce already this year thanks to the warm weather. Radishes and lettuce adn spinach already being enjoyed. I tried to get the tomatos and sweet and hot peppers in last weekend but family get togethers took up a lot of time. I always have 8-10 plants of various peppers and I'm looking forward to making some egg dishes with them. Chipotles sound like they should be fun.[p]Troy
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]Thanks for the tips. I'm interested in trying some smoked peppers. I'm also interested going to soon make some insanely hot sauce but I'm very frightened about the fumes that will surely fill my apartment. Should be an adventure...
    Cornfed

• sprinter
    Options
    sprinter,[p]This sounds like a chipotle is an egg dish, I HAVE to correct to keep myself from looking like a COMPLETE idiot. Thanks for the directions on how to make them, how I use them IN bge dishes will be interesting. Thanks again.[p]Troy
  • J Appledog
    Options
    Cornfed,
    Fumes can be very bad. (It's one of the main reasons I have my products contract packaged). Make sure you rinse all of your pots & pans & spoons & stuff with COLD water before washing with soap & hot water. And don't forget about the gloves. Good luck! JCA

• Doug
    Doug Posts: 132
    Options
    J Appledog, is it a must to use fresh jalapenos or aer "canned" peppers ok??? Oh, do you have any nice recipes toa offer on the forum using chipotles??

• J Appledog
    Options
    Doug,
    I don't see why you couldn't use canned jalapeños. I add chipotles to my soup stocks whole, then remove them before serving the soup. I grind some of the chipotles in my husband's coffee grinder ans add it to rubs & marinades or just sprinkle some on to season anything that could use a little smoke & spice. You can clean a grinder really well by shaking it out and then grinding up some bread. Dump it out and repeat with fresh bread.The pepper powder clings to the bread and my husband never suspects. JCA

• J Appledog
    Options
    Cornfed, Also wear protective eye wear when making hot sauces. I've gotten jerk in my eye and it's NOT fun! JCA

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    J Appledog, boudin,, cajun friends? Both are my favorites. We use to have a fireman who regularly brought boudin home from Norleans. Great stuff.. I've been trying to vary from my usual cajun style cooking with some oriental tastes, just to keep people from saying, "is that all you can cook?" Well now they're saying "this is good, but it ain't like you normally cook". You can't go wrong with cajun cooking..

• J Appledog
    Options
    You got that right, King-O-Coals! We also had some mambo shrimp with a hot mango papaya lime grilling sauce we're testing. Life is good here in Middle America....JCA

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Julie
    Thanks for all the great info, and responses. [p]Can you help me out on the proper pronunciation of "chipotle"??[p]Thanks. I am always anxious to read what you are willing to share.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • J Appledog
    Options
    Thanks, Nature Boy. Let's see if I can do this:
    chi: like Chia Pet without the A
    pot: like tote
    le: like lay & lei.
    accent on pot chiPOTle. JCA[p]

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]Thanks for the phonetic pronounciation. I also wondered how one would pronounce that. Now allow me to describe how I would pronouce it after I've eaten too many of them:[p]YEEE: yeeee...extended...as in new Years eve
    OWWWWWWWWWWWWW: ow...extended...as in ouch
    HOOOOOOOOOO: as in ho ho ho
    LEEEEEEEEEE: combined with the prev word = holy extended
    SH*$#!@%!@#$^%!%$: <edited for content>[p]Hooked on phonics,
    Cornfed

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]Cheee-POAT-lay??? Never wudda thunk it.[p]Any chance you can swing over to the eggfest?? Would love to hear your wisdom in person.
    Thanks
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • J Appledog
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    It would take a major Michigan car-pool. My husband & I drove south last month & got home 3 weeks later feeling veerrry guilty. The opening of trout seson is this weekend so, of course, he's busy, & I can't see myself driving for twelve x 2 hours by myself. Perhaps I should have Midwest Eggfolk here at my house on May 7?

• By definition, a chipotle is a smoked ripe (not green) jalapeno.

• J Appledog
    Options
    George,
    The "green bombs" I was referring to are Big Green Eggs , not jalapeños. Sorry for the confusion. JCA

• SOAR has many recipes that use chipotles.

[ul][li]SOAR--Chipotle Recipes[/ul]
  • J Appledog, my fault. I didn't interpret the words correctly....should have known.

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    J Appledog,
    YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!

• Brant
    Brant Posts: 82
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]Thanks Julie! I have a few rows of jalapenos -- pronounced "Jah-LAP-in-nose", right? :-) -- in the garden. They are just seeds now, but I'm expecting little sprouts any day now.[p]Lessons learned last year: (1) Even if you have big honkin' jalapenos, use a veggie cooking grid, because they shrink and fall right through the standard cooking grid into the hanging heat deflector pan. (2) And gloves are a MUST if you wear contact lenses. After 15 minutes of scrubbing my hands after deseeding, I thought I'd put in my contact lenses. BAAAAD MISTAKE! Those lenses went in the garbage the next day.[p]And still not learned: Am I supposed to peel the dry "skin" off after smoking, leaving only the softer "meat" of the pepper? Or use it all?[p]Brant
  • sprinter
    Options
    Brant,[p]Funny you should mention this stuff with the contacts. I've had a cast on my right hand for about four weeks now and I also wear contacts. The other night I made some encheladas, fresh jalepenos went in. I used my right index finger to get the seeds out like I usually do. Well, with as difficult as it is to manipulate anything with this big honkin' cast on my hand, its difficult to remove, clean, and put in contacts. I took them out the night I made the encheladas, no problems. Then next morning I went to put them in and after looking like a monkey (*&^%ing a football for 20 minutes I finally got the right lense in. just shortly after getting it in it really started to burn, you know the story. However, I was NOT going to take it out after screwing around with it for 20 minutes and I proceeded to put the left one in, guess what, it burned too. Well, I think the redness was out of my eyes about an hour later but MAN that hurt. I CAN FEEL YOUR PAIN.[p]Troy - redeye finally gone but not forgotten
  • Hanker'n2Grill
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]Enjoyed your thoughts on smoking peppers. I have enjoyed various peppers grown in my garden every year. Thought I'd mention that all peppers seem to be a bit more flavorful if they are roasted and the skins removed. I have tried various ways but have found the best to be using my propane torch (yes, the one I use for soldering copper pipe). It is easy to lay the peppers out on the concrete patio or similar location and just burn them absolutely black with the torch. Put the peppers in a large ziplock bag and refrigerate them for a while. Then stand over the kitchen sink with a narrow stream of water running on them. They can even be frozen for later cleaning and use. Most of the skins just slide off. The more recalcitrant bits can be gently scraped using a knive or even one of those 3M scrubbing pads.[p]My torch serves double duty as a pepper roaster and BGE lump starter. Works great. Mine has the automatic start button and for starting lump I slide on about an 18 inch piece of 3/4" copper pipe so I don't have to hold my torch down in the belly of the egg.

• Doug
    Doug Posts: 132
    Options
    J Appledog,nice way to keep the little secret going! I'm going to try the shaker idea and cleaning it with the bread. My wife will never know and.....it'll keep me out of trouble!