Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

¿Temp question?

Options
J Appledog
J Appledog Posts: 1,046
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is there a good, correct, or easy way to get the BGE temperature down to 250º after cooking at higher temps other than just patience?? OF COURSE someone showed up at our door at dinner time. The mini egg was too small to cook buodin & giant shrimp for three & the Webers are all out on loan ( ... that's another story!) so my husband comandeered the large BGE upon which I was smoking the peppers. It took ages for it to get back down to 250º. I am a very patient person, but surely there is a better way???? JCA

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    J Appledog, where did the '¿' character come from?

• J Appledog
    Options
    Gfw,
    Sorry, my heart is in the Spanish Virgin Islands - It started with the chipotle thread. I n Spanish that is the puntuation you use at the beginning of a sentence that ends with a question (?) . Like ¿ What's up, José? Or, ¡ For an exclamation!
    ¿Forgive me? JCA [aka Julia (hoo lee uh)]

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]I think the short answer is no. :-([p]Fritz
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    J Appledog,
    é ü ø ó ú î ö ¥ ® § Ý ™ special characters are fun.
    Yooz just got to play around! Or have a Mac.
    Heeee!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mike Oelrich
    Options
    J Appledog,[p] Unfortunately, the reason the BGE is so hard to cool down is also one of the reasons that it cooks so well. Once you heat up the ceramics, the BGE cooks very evenly. HOwever, once heated, they take a while to cool. You might try closing the thing down and putting a pan of ice in there or something . . .[p]MikeO
  • J Appledog,[p]I would use some thick firebricks or sturdy ceramic mass in conjunction with the damper adjustments. I've used this for direct cooked briskets that I wanted to keep warm until dinner time after(shudder)wrapping in foil.[p]Regards,
    Jobu

• Brant
    Brant Posts: 82
    Options
    hoo-lee-uh,[p]Sorry, my ess-span-yol (said with a strong Redneck Rivieran (no offense, KOC!) accent) is over 10 years out of date.[p]To answer your question, it depends how much trouble you want to go to. You can remove the hot coals from the Egg into a metal pan (or your mini???) and then leave the lid open. The Egg will cool down a lot faster. Although I have never gone to this trouble myself, I saw this method used with much success at the first Eggtoberfest, when the folks who bought the used Eggs needed to load them into their vehicles soon after we finished cooking on them. BTW, I'd recommend using cold lump instead of the stuff you just removed when you are ready to cook again, else the temp will jump right back up.[p]Warning: ¡Hot lump sparks a lot when handled![p]Brant (no Spanish equivalent as far as I know).
  • J Appledog
    Options
    Hey,Nature Boy - Do you have that "Pop Char" thing on your Mac where you choose the letter or wierd symbol that you want from above the tool bar. It makes life much simpler! JCA
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    J Appledog,
    No, don't have that one. But I have been typesetting on the mac since the SE was introduced, and have most of the special characters memorized. When I need help, I use Key Caps.[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Mac users are weird :)[p]Cornfed
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]OK, OK, OK, you PC users get in your corner, you MAC users stay in your corner, lets not start this holy war.[p]hehehehe......really trying to stir the pot hey CF?[p]Troy
  • bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    Options
    sprinter,[p]ô¿ô
    ~ hehehe

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    bbqbeth,[p]!@#$%^&*() to you too. (thats as fancy as I can get, if it aint on the keyboard, I cant make it)[p]Troy "computer" user - could care less if its a PC or a MAC, as long as it works when I turn it on. Being in the software business, I pay people to know the fancy schmancy stuff for me.
  • Cornfed
    Options
    sprinter,[p]Yeah, just joking around with friends. If I really wanted to stir the pot, though, I'd admit that I'm a Linux user at home! I guess since I'm running Linux for Intel I'm still a PC user, but it's a very different beast than windoze.[p]Cornfed[p]
  • Cornfed
    Options
    Brant,[p]This is the method ST and I employed at a couple of Jets games last year when we brought Humpty along. We simply used some long tongs to take out the lit lump. Not an elegant solution, but certainly a workable one. And it achieved the desired goal of not having the BGE burn a hole through the bottom of my car on the drive home.[p]Cornfed[p][p]
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    sprinter,
    Troy
    We like it when you talk DIRTY! ! !