Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping ~thirdeye~ re: wok work

Options
NoVA Bill
NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Wayne,

I'm just following up on my post of yesterday wrt using the wok on the egg......

Not having much experience with the wok and Asian cooking in general, what are some of the uses for the steamer box? Is this something I should add to my egg paraphernalia?

My wife, daughter and no. 2 son are big Chinesse food fans (I like it to but I'm more Korean and Thai in my orientation) and I'd like to learn more so I can cook more for them - beats going out to eat and I enjoy the heck out of cooking anything and everything on the egg.

Thanks!

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    If you are getting into Woking you will enjoy this site:

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=wok

Lots of recipes and tips.

Spring "Wok'n Around The Clock" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    SC,

WOW, my wok recipe hunting days are over. :woohoo:

Thank you very much!!!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Mind if I add to the ideas?

Bamboo steamers are useful for many things, including steamed veggies

FISH
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=588760&catid=1

Squid, Stuffed, Vietnamese Style, Throwdown #3, Richard Fl

I decided that I wanted an oriental flair. Took a pork tenderloin and ground it, mixed with Jimmy Dean Hot sausage cooked on BGE with some onions, thyme, some freshly chopped mango, chopped waterchestnuts, garlic chives and mung bean cellophane noodles. When cool took some squid and stuffed them. Rolled in very fine cornmeal and placed in a steamer on the wok for 25 minutes at 325F. Had some white wine and water in wok for steam. For the sauce took some of my homemade BBQ sauce added some spicy soy base dipping sauce we use and then a cup of freshly picked and peeled mangos, placed in blender and pureed it.

READYTOSTEAM.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    16-20 Whole Squid 3-4 inches long, Cleaned
    1 Pkg Vermicelli Mung Bean Noodles
    1 Can Waterchestnuts, Diced
    6-8 Pieces Garlic chives, Diced Fine
    1 Lb Jimmy Dean Sausage, Hot
    1 Lb Ground Pork Tenderloin or Pork Butt
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    Thai Hot Sauce, to taste.
    1 Cup Cornmeal

Procedure:
    1 If they are not already cleaned, clean the squid. You can save the tenticles for calamari fried or chop up and add to the stuffing mix
    2 Place the mung bean noodles in a pot and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand 10-15 minutes. Chop into 1 inch pieces to mix in stuffing.
    3 Take the sausage and sauté with some onions pieces. Mix all the ingredients and drain the grease. Let cool as it is easier to stuff in the squid bodies. This can be done in a wok on the stove or BGE.
    4 Dredge the stuffed squid in fine cornmeal. This was done for a throwdown. Normally would not do.
    5 Set BGE Wok up on spider with 1/2 bottle white wine and some water in bottom. Line the bamboo steamer with spinach and place the stuffed squid in the tray. Leave a little room when stuffing as the insides will expand. seal ends with a tooth pick.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Seafood, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2009/09/13
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Richard,

Don't mind at all, I welcome all comments, thank you.

That was some throw down cook you made. I'm a long way from that quality of a cook but am looking to grow my skills.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC01432ab.jpg

Well, you can steam seafood, veggies and one of my favorite things.... dumplings. They are stackable, so different things can go into each layer, or you can only use one section. They are also good for reheating things.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Thanks, dumplings are a good enought reason to add the steamer boxes to the eggstuff collection.

Thanks,
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Here is a recipe that works very well for wontons. Also the squid stuffing will work.

Appetizer, Gyoza, Oriental, Richard

INGREDIENTS:
    9 1/2 Lbs. Pork, Medium Ground, Cooked
    1 Lb. Garlic Chives, Chopped, about 3 bunches
    28 Ozs/ Water Chestnuts, Chopped Medium
    6 Ozs. Ginger, Fresh Minced
    1/4-1/2 Cup Sherry, Dry
    Salt/Pepper to taste
    1 1/2 Cup Mushroom, Black, Dried, Soak and squezze dry
    7-8 Pkgs. Wonton Wrappers, Round or Square, apprx 40 to a package
    Eggs

Procedure:
    1 Mix all ingredients and get some friends and beer 'cause this takes some time to make.
    2 Mix the eggs in a bowl and brush on edges to seal. These may be steamed, Frozen uncooked or pan fried. "Pot Stickers" are placed in a lightly buttered med heat frying pan. Slightly brown bottoms and then place water to just cover bottom of pan and cover. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to simmer, steam about 10 minutes. These may also be deep fried, 350°F for about 2-3 min, little longer if not crispy..
    3 Serve with any sauce you like. Eat hot!!

They will freeze very well before cooking.

Yield: 350 apprx

Recipe Type
    Appetizer

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe
  • Kat
    Kat Posts: 46
    Options
    I use my steamer for buns :) Steamed bbq pork buns are a great use for leftover pork.
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Leroy - This is one great site! Have bookmarked.

Thanks
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Great thanks. Any recommendation on size? 8 inch, 10 inch, etc.?
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Great and thanks. Not sure I'll share with wife just yet else I'll be making 350 of 'em. :laugh:
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Leroy what an awesome site!! I have book marked that and I am sure to spend to much time reading it!!
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    I use a 14" carbon double ring handle wok on my large with a spider and a 10 1/2 " 3 layer bamboo steamer basket. Gets the job done real fine. Be sure to soak the bamboo, especially the top.
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Richard,

Thanks a lot!