Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! TG Turkey!

Options
Robins
Robins Posts: 131
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 7.2 kg bird and was wondering about cook time at 350?

After cook will I be ok to foil and towel in cooler for about an hour and a half?

Any help would be great

Tahnks in advance

Paul

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I am no turkey eggspert but I've cooked a couple hundred.Cook til done then put in a 170 degree oven til ready to serve.I would not be afraid to wrap n rest either.Just make sure it's done and don't let it get below 140 for more than 4 hours!You'll be fine.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i don't know enough about killograms to pounds but your turkey should take 15 min a pound!! but that is not always a true science the only thing that is accurate is to take the temp of your turkey with a instant read thermometer.. about 180 degrees (once again you have to convert) in the thigh is good..

as far as the cooler goes you need to preheat the cooler with some boiling water for about an hour or so before putting the turkey in... pour the water out and add the towels (from the dryer helps) put the towels on the bottom and over the turkey (wrapped in foil of course) and you should be able to hold the temp for an hour and a half easily!!!

i know i am not max but i have done several turkeys and have traveled with alot of food that has already been egged and i hope this helps you ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    Hi Paul:

This will be my 2nd Turkey on the egg. Last year I followed Mad Max's instructions and everything was fine - great bird !

This year I intend to follow Max's instructions again (if it ain't broke don't fix it).

Max has made several posts over the last week or so - as recently as this morning - I would recommend that you review if you haven't already.

Max suggests cooking at 325 - not 350. I'm good with that. The example he provides is a 21 lb bird. It works out to about 19-20 minutes per pound and I've read that in other recipes so I feel pretty good about that.

Based on that info, your bird (7.2 kg=apx. 15 3/4 lbs) should be about 5.5 hrs. I have a 13 lb bird which should be about 4.5 hrs. Both of the above seem pretty long to me. I thought I was done in about 3.5-4 hours last year for a similar size bird.

Either way, you're shooting for an internal temp on the breast of 160 and the thigh of 180.

My wife and I had a competition last year and my bird was done way before hers. I foiled it, stuck it in the over (no extra heat) and served it when hers was done. The bird was still great.

Michael
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    here's everything you need to know.. . .i don't know the weight conversion. ..figure about 15 minutes per pound at 325 dome temp . .. for the 1 1/2 hours, your plan will be fine. . . .warm turkey is fine. .. make the gravy. .. hot gravy over warm meat is best anyway in my opinion . .. i'm headed for bed now, but if you need help tomorrow give me a call . . . i'm gonna be out all day but you can reach me on the hot line at 703-517-3791 .. .

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxcentral/canadaspecial.htm
  • Robins
    Robins Posts: 131
    Options
    Hey everyone, Thank you sooo much for the help! Thats why I love this place, everyone is always willing to give a little help.

Thanks Again!

Paul
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    Thanks Max...

I thought my calculations seemed off from my experience last year.

Tented Turkey in the cooler with towels, etc. will be at the ready if needed.

Michael
  • Big Red
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm a fresh newbie. Plan to do Max's Bird tonight as a test run before T-Day. Been searching the topics and have not seen an answer to this: What affect will putting stuffing INTO the bird have on time and output?
    My wife is adamant that stuffing cooks in the bird. Otherwise I'm feeling pretty confident. Much obliged on any info.