Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild pig shoulder?

Options
Basscat
Basscat Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a hunk of shoulder of wild pig from a friend who is an obsessive hunter. It looks to be a butt, but only weighs a little under 4 pounds. Anyone have any experience with wild pulled pork? I'm planning on 2 hours or a little more per pound, with the usual Dizzy Dust, hickory and peach.Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I've heard that they are good as long as they are small(150-200 lb max) younger pigs.I have not cooked one but I have had breakfast sausage made from wild pig and it was really good.HTH!
  • Basscat
    Options
    This looks like it's from a small one. Looking forward to trying it!
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Basscat....Was on my way to bed, saw this post, and signed back in. PLEASE brine this hunk of wild boar/sow for 12-24 hours before cooking. Was this butchered professionally? Was the pig slaughtered to bleed out properly? Please, brine the pig chunk. I can elaborate tomorrow if need be, but please don't just throw this in the egg and expect to get good eats. :( Thanks!
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Here is a 9-1/2 pound shoulder from a Russian Hog a friend dropped off last year. It had been vacuum packed and put on ice for a few days - never frozen. I stuffed it with garlic, rubbed it with BBBR, vacuum packed, put it in the fridge for 24 hours, then smoked like any other butt.
    101_2126640x480.jpg

101_2129640x480.jpg

101_2131640x480.jpg

101_2133640x480.jpg
  • Basscat
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, but didn't see your warning, LC, until tonight.... Fortunately, this was a little pig and not in the least gamey. Turned out to be basically a "picnic" (upper arm) and a part of the butt, weighing a little under 4 pounds. Did the usual Dizzy Dust no salt with a dash of standard DD, and on the Egg at 250 with a couple chunks each of hickory and peach, until temp hit 200. A little more than 8 hours. Probably should have pulled it at 190, as it is a tad dry, no doubt because it is leaner than domestic pork. But it tastes great. A little stronger, meatier (?) tasting than the domestic. Meat is a little darker. With a bit of Head Country Original on a Rotella's Kaiser roll, it makes a great sandwich! I'll be encouraging my friend to continue hunting wild pigs...
  • hizzoner
    hizzoner Posts: 182
    Options
    Most of the time it depends on how the meat was handled and prepared after the kill. A large boar will have a musky flavor that I don't care for. A smaller sow, killed and cleaned directly is usually good. Now the little ones.......mmmmmmm
  • Basscat
    Options
    This one was little, and the hunter is vastly experienced, so no worries on handling of the meat. Came out great.