Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

which size egg should i purchase?

Options
gregg
gregg Posts: 3
edited November -1 in Off Topic
i have a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids under the age of 5)
if we have people over for a Bar B Q then it is only about 6-8 max

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    gregg,

Large is the most versatile. You could get by with a medium but you would limit yourself for larger cooks that you could portion and freeze. Kids have a habit of getting older and food consumption rises exponentially. Think in terms of the lifetime warranty.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Gator Bait
    Options

Hey Gregg,

Welcome to the forum. I am single and live alone with a medium BGE. The medium is a good size for me. If I were you I wouldn't think twice about getting a large.

Good luck,

Gator

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    gregg,

BTW this is on topic. You should post this question on the Egghead forum...you will get more opinions.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I have 2 adults and 2 kids. I have a large and a small. I would recommend a large. It is the most versatile.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    You will add the small within a year. B)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

You should repost your question over on the egghead firyn - a much better place for this type of question.

There are two of us here and once a month I cook for the entire family, kids & grandkids - 25 in all.

The large is by far the best choice, IMO. For us we cook anything from 2 chicken thighs or a couple of dogs to a 23# Turkey on the large.

The large works great, however, after a short time I added a medium, then a small then a mini.

Most will say a Large & small. If I were doing it all over again, I would get a large, then a mini then a second large (or possibly a XL).

GG
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    My choice was the large. Great for a small cooks and lots of room for company!!
  • Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    Options
    I have 2 adults and 3 kids. The med is good if you plan, but the large makes it easier. I have both a large and medium.