Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt on the Mini

NoVA Bill
NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just had to try a butt on the mini. This pic is of a 6.76lbs Boston Butt going direct and targeting 250 degrees dome. I have the Et-73 all set up and reporting.

I filled up the fire box with lump and let it burn for a bit and added cherry and oak chunks for smoke. The butt was slathered in Dijon mustard w/kosher salt and course ground pepper. I'm using an old Miracle Maide pie pan as a drip pan so I guess you could say I'm using a modified indirect cook.
IMG00296.jpg
I wanted to do an indirect cook using the mini KIM woo and baking stone but the butt was to big (it was the smallest Blooms had at the time and I wasn't about to pass up 99 cents/lb.). Next time I'll shop in advance for something around 4 lbs - that would be a great size for the wife and me.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Bill, I'm l;ooking forward to this cook. Keep us posted!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • NoVA Bill
    Me too!

Thank Molly, will do later tonight when the butt finishes. I'm in Butt Bark withdrawl - need a fix...now! :woohoo:
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Man, so why do I get the visual of pacman when looking at that picture.....did I just date myself.

thought to add a picture for the younger set......LOL

zenwaw-pacman.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • cookn biker
    :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Very cool Bill B) . I am curious how many times you will need to refill :ohmy: the firebox if any. I am close to getting a mini and this is just the information that
    I need. :P
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • I would say that you can get 4-6 hrs of low and slow cooking on the mini. That is my experience with brisket. My biggest problem has been dome temp, because it never returns where it was. I think that the mini is just too small to get the right temp with that big of a piece of meat.
    Please keep us posted.
  • NoVA Bill
    Tom,

Well I'm there with you. I had to look at the pic again to get some appreciation for your pic. It's there :ermm: :unsure: :whistle: :laugh: .
  • NoVA Bill
    Dr. Z,

Thanks. If I believe what I've read and I do the mini should go 7 to 8 hours on one load of lump - we'll see how well I did.
  • NoVA Bill
    This is my first lo and slo with the mini. Temp control certainly takes more effort than on my medium as the mini temp will run away in a heart beat or beer run. :laugh:
  • cookn biker
    We did not have to refill when we did 2 (separate cooks) atr work. both took 8-9 hours.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Lookin good! B)
    Yeah that is a big chunk of pork for the mini. I had almost a 4 pound boneless butt with plenty of room up in the dome when I last smoked a mini pork butt. More than enough for two people.
    Have fun!
  • NoVA Bill
    I remember your post. Your post convenced me to do a butt on the mini. I'm crossing my fingers I did a good job loading up the fire box. We'll see. ;)
  • NoVA Bill
    Thanks Clay Q. I like the idea of doing a small butt on the mini - just right for the wife and me.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    This is how much lump remained after an 8 hour mini pork butt smoke running at 250 dome. :ohmy: :cheer:

BGEminismokedporkbutt0015.jpg
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Dang Bill, now I want to run to the store and get one myself! :lol:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • NoVA Bill
    I'm gonna have some fun pulling that butt in a couple of hours. :)