Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Precook Pizza Crust ??

PJ
PJ Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The other day I was watching Rachel Ray (Food Network) make a pizza. She baked the pizza crust for a short time prior to putting on the toppings. She sauteed some of the toppings on the stove top, put them on the browned crust, and then put the completed pizza back in the oven to melt the cheese. She claimed this way, the top of the crust also became crisp - not just the bottom.
Do any of the pizza makers on the forum make pizza this way? What are your thoughts on this process?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    i precook thick deepdish pies but not the thincrusts
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I agree with fishlessman.
    My deep dish recipe call to put the sauce on and bake for 15 minutes.Remove from oven and put on the toppings and finish until cheese is bubbly.
    Jon
  • Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    I've never tried pre-cooking the crust, but my initial thought would be that the pizza would end up rising in the middle where you wouldn't want it to. Normally, with the sauce and toppings on, the crust in the middle doesn't really rise that much whereas the naked outer rim has significantly more rise. I think if you precook the crust with no toppings that it would rise evenly and leave you without the rim. Maybe poking a bunch of small holes with a fork in the middle of the crust would prevent this. If you give the technique a try, let us know how it goes.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    PJ...we have tried a brief direct grill of the crust just to get some grilled flavor, then topped it and baked it. It was very good....but more of a pain than it was worth. And I completely agree with Arons post and the rising issues. May be more trouble than it's worth...plus I like the soft bread under my toppings. ;) JMHO. :whistle: