Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

size of Egg to purchase

gregg
gregg Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am new to the forum and I have a question. I am abut to purchase a Medium egg and a built in gas grill that will sit side by side on an outdoor brick and stone island on my back patio. Do i need both or is that stupid?

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    If you have room,get the LARGE! :)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    gregg,

Large is the most versatile. You could get by with a medium but you would limit yourself for larger cooks that you could portion and freeze. Kids have a habit of getting older and food consumption rises exponentially. Think in terms of the lifetime warranty.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    why both? Sounds to me like you have some contractor/designer flippin you off! That gasser will rust and be worthless in a couple years, but will leave a hole in your patio design and in your budget. Spend your money instead on 2 BGEs NOW!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    gregg,

I just cut and pasted my reply from the OT forum. Hold off on the gasser man! Trust us on this!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hizzoner
    hizzoner Posts: 182
    only gas you need is a burner

TheBBP.jpg
  • My history:
    15 yrs ago I started using a Weber Kettle for turkeys at Tksgiving every year. Unforutnately those kettles would fall apart every few yrs and I would replace them ..

Later on I bought a 4 burner high BTU gasser as a present for myself when my wife (and i) upgraded her (our?) kitchen.. I had the ultimate gasser, everything stainless steel, including grids, burners etc...top of the line. Still, I couldn't cook turkeys on it and kept my Weber. At Tksgiving, when the legs fell off my Weber, I went and bought a BGE (I was well over budget and really x'd off my wife). During the holidays, I cooked my Tksgiving turkey on the new BGE, and a variety of other things (prime rib, another turkey, chicken,....) and honestly I have never used my gasser again. Actually it was kicked off the deck and hasn't been used in over 3 yrs...

I am now buying my 2nd Lg BGE... I'll have it in the next two weeks!

Good luck in your decision.
  • i agree with all of the above comments..... i just put out 2 gas grills for the garbage man.... needless to say, i don't think they were out there for more than 30 minutes...somebody took em for scrap or to use(i kept the tanks to fuel my weedburner which i use to start my egg) .... at least they didn't hit the landfill....if you can afford it, get large two eggs...i'm single .... i don't find that the large is too large for me.... even if i do a small cook(rarely)... i close the vents and very little charcoal is wasted...
  • i agree with all of the above comments..... i just put out 2 gas grills for the garbage man.... needless to say, i don't think they were out there for more than 30 minutes...somebody took em for scrap or to use(i kept the tanks to fuel my weedburner which i use to start my egg) .... at least they didn't hit the landfill....if you can afford it, get large two eggs...i'm single .... i don't find that the large is too large for me.... even if i do a small cook(rarely)... i close the vents and very little charcoal is wasted...
  • MJF24
    MJF24 Posts: 146
    Gregg--

I agree with everyting that has been written here. The large is the most versatile and you probably will not use the gasser much, if at all.

But we probably could answer your question better if we knew your cooking habits. How many people do you usually cook for? And do you expect to entertain much? What types of things do you think you will cook?

--Mike
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    This one hasn't been fired up in over 6 years. -RP

IMG_0403Small.jpg
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    The medium is a great if you want to cook for a family of 4 or so. If you ever want to entertain then get a large, they are much more versatile. I completely bypassed the gasser grill stage so I won't comment.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • I might be the only guy to disagree just a bit on here.
    I am new to the Egg, but a huge fan. I bought a Weber Genesis gas grill 3 years ago and paid $600. I didn't know about the Egg at that time, and charcoal was tainted by lighter fluid. I didn't know about lump at that time either, so I went with gas.
    I ended up picking up a Weber Kettle, because the Egg was about $900 while the kettle was $90.
    I ended up getting the Mini as my Egg in August, and I haven't used anything else since then. I cook mainly for 1-2 people, but have cooked for 4 on the Mini as well. I ve been searching for a Large BGE for the last month.
    Now, to the gas. My girlfriend likes the gas and most other people know how to use it, so it does have some convenience advantages.
    If you are the only cook, get the large. I think the BGE is the best value and performer from all the grills around.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    My old gasser wasn't even good for storage so I threw it out.
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Nice setup. I, unlike others, use my Weber Gasser (which I've had for over 20 years) quite often. I can't see the point of starting up my eggs for a cook that is of very short duration and doesn't require smoking. Hot dogs, hamburgers, fish, shrimp etc. On and off in a couple of minutes. Leave you cooking options open. Never get rid of a cooking vessel that is functional.