Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Woot expresso coffee maker/A good buy?

Darnoc
Darnoc Posts: 2,661
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This was the deal today and when in Spain last year I sort of acquired a taste of the stronger coffee brews.Is it worth checking out because I don't have a clue as to what are the top espresso makers to check out?
http://www.woot.com/

Comments

• Also if I got one (I own a Silvia so I won't) I would follow this advice

The biggest being you can't make good espresso without a decent Burr grinder.

Doug
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Thank you for the informative post.I will put my order in and give it a go.If I really get hooked it might be like going from a WSM to the Egg.For the money it looks like a good deal.
  • Hey Doug,

What would you consider as a decent burr grinder? I have one made by Krupps that I use to grind beans. For my coffee, I use a Bialetti stove top espresso maker -- old technology that yields good results (although, no creme :( ). I even have an electric version for use in my office.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Wow, the reviews are saying it was a good deal at $400, so at $179...

I am considering. I've been in the market for an espresso machine for quite a while now.
  • I'd do my research up there on Coffee Geek, they are great for all questions such as this. I own Mazzer Mini which is the last grinder I will ever have to buy. But it was $$$.

Doug
  • Also the big deal with espresso grind is particle size consistency, for fine grind. Do a test grind with each and use a magnifying glass and take the one that grinds the most evenly.

Doug
  • Thanks Doug,

I have seen the Coffee Geek site. From time to time, the itch to buy an espresso machine seems to creep over me :blink: . There is also a specialty store not too far from me that specializes in espresso machines :evil: .

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• seems like a decent deal.. i too have a miss sylvia but grinder is rocky doserless.. kups burr grinder would not grind fine enough for miss sylvia,.. wholelattelove.com has lots of great reviews videos and instructions .. i bought from there and was very happy with service ..
    bill
  • Bill:

Over the past 20 years I've been through several increasingly expensive espresso machines--at least seven of them. I started with a Krups Novo for $100 and went through Saeco, Gaggia (it dripped), Francis Francis!, Expobar (I can't remember the others). I usually managed to sell the old one, so the hit wasn't so bad. Each one was an improvement, but until the Expobar double boiler I didn't really get the real crema. I still have that one packed away in the garage in case the current (and forever) Paquini Livia 90 should conk out some day.

As for grinders, I went through a lot of them too, and found many less expensive ones just don't grind fine enough. Sold those, too, as I tried a new one. I can recommend the Capresso Infinity, which sells for about $100, and the Baratza (didn't get it fine enough for me, but maybe would for you). I have the Mazzer Mini too now, but it's a lot of machine for a kitchen counter. I'm finally satisfied! Never thought I'd see the day.

One tip I picked up, maybe on Coffee Geek, is to use a little whisk on the ground coffee before putting it into the portafilter. It breaks up clumps and really makes a difference in how the water distributes through the grounds while brewing. The guy in the article used a scalpel to attack the clumps, I think, so I tried the whisk instead.
    Judy in San Diego
  • I've done a lot of business with Whole Latte Love and they are terrifically helpful.
    But...I searched the internet for the very best prices I could get on every purchase, and it wasn't always WWL. You CAN save hundreds of dollars if you take the time to research.

Judy
    San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    I'm glad (but not surprised) to see so many coffee lovers on this forum. Judy, the grinds-stirring process you refer to is called the Weiss Distribution Technique (WDT), (which I take credit for naming :laugh: ). It involves using a cake tester, or bent paperclip, or pin, etc. to stir the grinds once they are dosed into the portafilter. It really helps to get a proper extraction from the coffee.

Great espresso is truly a labour of love. Without attention to getting fresh beans (roasted no more than 2 weeks prior to consumption), grinding immediately prior to use, and preparing and brewing carefully, the results will never be better than poor. So, I always recommend that if a person is really ready to go for it, then get a good grinder and a machine. If not, though, a better path to great coffee is to get a good grinder, and use a french press or an Aeropress.

As far as good grinders go at reasonable prices, the Ascaso mini, L'Elit, Lux, and Pavoni PGB and PGC are all good choices for quality of grind. A used Mazzer or Macap grinder is also a very good bet.

Mark
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    i have an nespresso la cube - excellent espresso maker - can put a "crema" on top just a fine as a five star restaurant in paris or any truck stop in italy

nespresso makes machines of various sizes and with varied prices

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • Who woulda thought the forum would be a two-fer? Egg AND serious coffee!

There's a marvelous roaster/coffee house here in town so the beans are always great.

For French press, I loved the method from Sweet Maria's website. Very detailed, and I'd have the timer ready for action, and pour the finished coffee into a thermal carafe to last through a long breakfast. You don't want it sitting on those grounds!

"bill' is also a coffee devotee. He gave me wonderful information on roasting beans at home.

Judy
    San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • thanks for the whisk tip... should miss silvia die before me i will get a double boiler ...
    whole latte love is autorized miss sylvia repair so i went there,,
    next dream is a pro roaster,,, got no counter space ,,, sorry boys we need to move as dad needs more room for coffee and bge stuff, :laugh:
    bill
  • You planning on getting rid of your Behmor? I know I guy in edmonton who would take it off your hands... Just sayin'

Doug
  • I bought the new Baratza Vario ceramic burr grinder as soon as it was released and have been delighted with it. Completely automated, quieter than most grinders, and surprisingly clean. It's automated and the repeatability of a dose is remarkable. I've also been doing my own roasting, which is an art unto itself.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    This is a complicated thread and if coffee needs to be that complicated I will stick with shots. No grinding needed. :laugh: :P :laugh: :P
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!