Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tender Pulled Pork

Options
Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This was sooooo gooood I'll make this again soon. Last weekend I was hungry for more pulled pork after running out of AZRP's pulled pork. Yummmmy stuff by the way.
Anyhow, I thought of using tenderloin... running the risk that this might end up dry and not pullable but still worth the chance.... 'cause I LIKE tenderloin.

Here are some pic's. Next time around I'd like to have time and temp documentation to share.
BGEClaysTenderPulledPork0002.jpg
BGEClaysTenderPulledPork0001.jpg

BGEClaysTenderPulledPork0003.jpg
Started by slicing into manageable chunks and seasoning with Shaking the Tree DP rub.

BGEClaysTenderPulledPork0005.jpg
For flavor I seared the tenderloin in cast iron using some apple wood chips for smoke. Next time I'll sear direct as most people do not have a sear pan.

BGEClaysTenderPulledPork0006.jpg
Next into a crock pot with 1 cup apple cider, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar and 1/4 cup brown sugar. In the egg I installed an indirect setup with plate setter, some brick feet to rest the crock pot then placed the **** pot in. The egg cooled down easy with adjustment to the lower draft door and upper daisy wheel and I got it steady at 250 dome. Had to be around 4 to 5 hours, not sure, with lid on. (was not keeping track)

BGEClaysTenderPulledPork0009.jpg
Worked like magic!..pulled so easy, super moist and tender and wonderful flavor, no grease fat or gristle. Dumped the liquid out into a pan for reduction as I pulled apart the rest of the tenderloin.

BGEClaysTenderPulledPork0008.jpg
Used about two tablespoons milk with two teaspoons flour to help thicken the sauce and then reduced for about 10 minutes before adding back to the pulled pork. Adjusted seasoning with a little more Shaking the Tree and some salt. (I'll document amount next time around)

BGEClaysTenderPulledPork0010-1.jpg
Results; Outstanding. Ready for samitches. Total time for this cook was about 6-7 hours? I will find out and report with my next Tender Pulled Pork adventure. :lol:;):)

Comments