Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Island Design - Help Please

Nate
Nate Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello - I currently have my Small in a temporary table and am getting ready to build a kitchen island. This is the basic design from Sketchup:

KitchenIsland2.jpg

As you can see, I'm planning to add a Large to the collection. My concern is the backsplash...

I'm planning a 28 - 30" deep counter but do not have a Large to measure with the Lid open. I measured the Small at about 21-22" - can anyone tell me how deep the counter needs to be to ensure that the Large can open completely without hitting the backsplash?

Also planning to set the Egg directly on Granite or Concrete - not sure which yet, any concern there?

Thanks - Nate

Comments

• Nate,
    Your design looks great and should work well for you. I don't think I would sit the egg directly on granite but concrete should work fine. I have mine sitting on a concrete stone and have no problems with it. I made my openings the same depth but different heights. Good luck and show us some pictures of your construction.
    NewEggTable2.jpg
    IMG_0403.jpg
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Hi Nate,
    Spring Chicken is asleep right now but I will have him check on this for you tomorrow. I did a rough measure with the large open (with the green cap on too) and I count about 34". Without the cap it's about 29" but you will have either the cap or the daisy wheel on while cooking. Also, be sure to put the feet between the concrete and the egg for circulation.

Your design is gorgeous. One thing is to be sure you plan for plenty of storage. Gadgets and toys seem to multiply once you get your eggs. You can go to:
    http://springchickencoop.blogspot.com/2008/05/spring-chickens-coop.html to see how he put in a shelf to hold the dirty grid when needed.

Goodness, I'm rambling on. That's Leroy's job :lol:
    Good luck and let us see the finished project.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Hi, Judy. Long time !!
  • Spring Hen
    Hi Brother...whatcha been doin??? Are you going to Plano?
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Can't make it. We are leaving for Florida in the AM. Old Navy buddies reunion. Be gone 2 weeks. Will be good to get away from all this rain for a time. Ya'll OK.
  • Spring Hen
    Well, yes, we were doing fine until you told me you won't be in Plano. I think you guys need to take a trip south instead of east. The door is always open.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Your cooking center looks nice. Two Eggs is a good idea too. Maybe a Mini later on. You will enjoy it for sure.

Spring Hen mentioned the slot I built into my cooking center to hold the grid while I'm adding lump or cleaning it out. It's definitely one of my better ideas. Here's what it looks like:

LargeEggCabinetFinished7-22-07-1.jpg

LargeEggGridHolder.jpg

I use my grid lifter to temporarily place the grid in a large pizza pan I picked up at my local Ace Mart restaurant supply store.

I can also use the pizza pan for other purposes when needed. Simply wipe it down and it is like new again.

Be sure to keep us updated on your future cooks on it. And don't forget to send a photo to the Naked Whiz to add to his collection of Egg tables.

Spring "Got A Case Of The Yucky's" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Hey buddy.

There must be a lot of you "Old Navy" guys. I see y'all's shirts on people all the time. LOL

Have fun.

Spring "Anchor Clanker" Chicken
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    There will be plenty of "Old Navy" guys in Plano Nov. 7 ! I'm one, myself. Ahoy, the Coop!
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Belay this...I pushed a wrong button. :S :unsure:
  • Nate
    Nate Posts: 10
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

Any opinion on the tall backsplash? Most islands I've seen have a shorter backsplash so that the daisy wheel is no concern. I'm worried that I need to make the counter deeper so the Large sits further from the backsplash.

I think Spring Hen said 34"? Do I need to make the counter for the Large 34 so I can fully open the lid?

Thanks - Nate
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    very nice stone work - in the yard and patio - beautiful stones for the cooking area

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • Nate,

I will send some pics later with my recently built picture, but for the moment, I will let you know that the small is 5" shorter than the large and to have the rims at the same level, I elevated the base under the small by 5 ". It gave me a cabinet large enough to put a small shop vac in there - very convenient (had an electrical outlet placed in the back of that cabinet).
  • mr toad
    the slot under the egg is a "super" idea - already making plans to add that to my table

mr toad
                        Smoke no Evil

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Nate,
    I like your design. I recently remodeled my Hen House and used 26" deep granite counter tops. I have no problem opening the large all the way. My eggs are also sitting on granite with no problems to date. Good luck with your project.

IMG_7316.jpg
  • Thanks for the comments. We really enjoy it and I love the fact that there really is no maintenance required.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • rrgator
    rrgator Posts: 25
    DB, is your island dry fitted or did you use mortar to secure the stones. It looks great and if it is only dry fitted, you have given me a great idea for my patio that I think my wife would agree to, and allow me to get a 2nd BGE.
  • rrgator,
    The bottom rows and the center are dry stacked until you get to the top couple of rows they are glued with a stone adhesive applied just like caulk. The adhesive is used on the entire end caps where they rise above the base. That stuff is amazing; it holds a couple of steps that overhang their base by about 4 inches and you just can't break it loose. By the way, the base is filled with compacted crush n run. The top prep area between the eggs has mortared joints and three coats of a stone sealer were applied to make clean up easier.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Bob, great looking kitchen. What do you do about smoke? Do you have any problems if the wind is blowing from the Egg toward the bar?
  • Nate,

Here are pics of the kitchen I had built last spring, with a small and large egg. The only issue we have had has been dealing with the few times we actually have much smoke. I think i am going to replace the standard range vent-a-hood with a more commercial type with a better "witch's hat" type smoke collector above the eggs. Note the cabinet under the small where I keep a small Sears shop vac.

DSC_0448.jpg
    DSC_0449.jpg
    DSC_0450.jpg
  • I see you are on a Golf Course - Any hard slices or duck hooks gotten near your eggs

Very nice setup by the way!!!
  • Jerry,
    I'm fortunate in that I'm on a rather short par 3 over water and there is a row of tee boxes headed back across the water between the green and me. So, no errant balls but we do hear a few choice words,
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • :ohmy: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Clark,
    I've got a double roof where the smoke can escape and 5 ceiling fans to carry it out. No smoke problems.

IMG_4280-1.jpg
  • That is an awesome porch/smokehouse!

The double roof design makes the smoke a non-issue, for sure.
  • mr toad
    beautiful - love the wood you chose -
                        Smoke no Evil

• mr toad
    very nice bobby

mr toad
                        Smoke no Evil

• emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Use the feet and then set on the granite or concrete. The air space helps greatly to keey the heat from burning through the bottom.
  • rrgator
    rrgator Posts: 25
    Thanks, looks like a post-football season project. BTW, how do you get your name and location in your post?