Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

On choosing the right size

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm hoping to become an egghead soon, and I'm thinking about which size to purchase. I'm sure that the large would be big enough 95% of the time, but I like the idea of having the extra space available in case I need it, so I'm considering the XL as well. I'm just wondering if you sacrifice any performance when you go with a bigger size. I imagine that you burn through charcoal faster with a bigger one. Is it harder to regulate temperature with a bigger one? Do any of you ever find the large too small?

Thanks in advance for the advice :)

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I have one egg a large. If I had it to do over again I would have two large. I would not need the second very often but my eggcessories would work. I have been doing this for going on nine months now so there are others that may chime in here with more eggsperience than I. With one large egg I can have a total of 6 or 8 and I have fed 12 people at a time so it depends on what your cooking. I studied about getting an egg for a year mostly because of the money. I never ate of a BGE until we got our large and now I wish I had one a long time ago. I don't care if I can't go over there and turn the gasser on and woosh it done. The BGE retains moisture and the food tastes better it is worth the time and eggsperience.Tim

Here is meat loaf baked potato's and bread a nice meal for two with plenty of leftovers.

000_0897.jpg
  • BHE1
    BHE1 Posts: 205
    Options
    I would say you can't go wrong with the large. In fact, I'm certain you will get several responses from people suggesting you can get a large and a small for about the same price of a XL. If you went that route you would be able to cook multiple items at different temperatures.

I don't have a XL so I can't answer your question about regulating temperature and charcoal use, but I can tell you that I haven't ever needed more room on my large. My first egg was a large and I generally cook for my family of 4; we also do a lot of entertaining and have fed up 15-20 people on the large without a problem. My next egg was a medium and I found I can do 100% of cooking for my family on it. Lastly, I purchased a mini and was surprised that I could cook about 95% of the time for my family on here too.

IMO, you honestly can go wrong with the large--all around probably the best egg for the money. If you need more cooking area you can also buy accessories that would accommodate extra surface area.

Good luck on your decision and let us know how it turns out.

Ed
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My Neighbor had an XL. It was too big for their needs, and they probably used more lump than they needed.

Get a large and after using it a while, getting comfortable with it, etc. see what your needs are down the road.
  • Lambchops
    Lambchops Posts: 166
    Options
    I have just recently purchased my second large BGE. I really like the fact that I can do something low and slow like a pork butt on one and steaks or hamburgers on the other one.With the right accessories you can cook a lot of food on Large BGE.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    This is a pre-recorded message:

I often hear that the large does not have the capacity to cook for a large family.

Let me tell you that is a lot of bull. When my family gets together we are typically 20+. My XL sits there and wishes I would use him.

So here is my proof:

Please note the amount of sausage on this egg:
    IMG_8030-020.jpg

6 7-9 pound butts on this egg:

IMG_8055-033.jpg

Just for contrast please note the amount of meat on this Lang 60:

IMG_8059-035.jpg

I cooked 18 butts on 3 eggs and took up less space.

My XL gets used when I cater and even then it's only used for something that may not physically fit on my large and can't be cut into smaller chunks.

Ohh did I tell you I have 2 small eggs too. You will NOT be disappointed with the Egg, unless you fail to learn how to use it or don't use it. Many of us use it as our primary cooking.
  • Tim (Watkinsville)
    Options
    I am a relatively new egger, I did a lot of research and finally decided to go with an XL and I have not looked back. I can cook a whole (small) pig on it, or a full venison hind quarter. I have cooked direct and indirect with outstanding results. I plan on smoking a large turkey this Thanksgiving. I can't comment on lump usage vs. a large as the XL is my first BGE. I will probably buy a small at some point for when I want to do a couple of burgers quick. I cook for my elderly parents a good bit, so when I cook on the egg, I cook lots of food! Good luck with your decision, I feel sure you'll be happy with whatever you decide.
    Watkinsville, Ga   XL, Medium
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    If you can afford an XL...buy a Large & small together...best combo out there...and then get a mini too.. :woohoo: :lol: :silly:
  • Lazydogsaloon
    Options
    You will find many folks end up with more then one, I suggest the large and small combo.

As an FYI, we have 2 Large, 1 Small and a Mini

Family of 4 but we like to cook and when friends come over to make that special dish, they is always extra room someplace.

V/r
    Lazydog B)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    One word: LARGE
  • I've heard a few people say that a small and a large is the same price as an xl, but if that's true then my local dealer is ripping people off. I went in there today and the large was $959, the xl was $1259, and the small was $659. All prices include the nest. So to get the large and small would be much more costly than the xl.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    not sure where you live but unless your dealer brought that small in on horseback through the mountains there's no way he should be asking any $659 for a small egg! While some dealers won't let their clerks deal ask for the boss and play "let's make a deal"!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Don't play games with the man. Tell him he is out of his mind. I can buy a small for 350 + tax. That is from a dealer that sells larges for $789. He treats me really well, be'en that I'm an unpaid sales rep. I have also learned of another dealer up north that is selling larges for $699. So tell that idiot to pull his head out of the hole in his backside. :)
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Get yourself a large and small. ;)

Cast Iron, platesetters, the works....Then get rid of all the black grills on the property :laugh: unless you need a place to store the tools. :silly: