Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nomex/Super77 Install Review

Options
2cats
2cats Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
1) Is it necessary/desirable to pre-shrink the gasket? What is a preferred, and dare I, easy technique for this?

2) Those who spray Super 77 into a cup and use a brush - is there any problem with the stuff separating and becoming non-homogeneous?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I just got mine yesterday and have watched the video, but haven't installed it yet. I was planning to just spray it on.

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/230.htm

For those who have done this, is Fred's video method a good choice?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Big Hairy Dawg
    Options
    I replaced my gasket with the Nomex a couple of months ago and the Fred's video was a good guide for me.

I believe putting the gasket in the dryer for a few minutes as the video suggested did effectively pre-shrink the gasket.

I did not put into a cup first and then apply. I made a bigger mess than if I had done that but did manage to get a fairly even distribution of the product.

My gasket has thus far held up very well. The true test for me was pizza as that is where I had previously melted the felt gasket. I made pizzas about a week ago with no issues.

I am happy that I went with the Nomex. I am not very handy so I just took my time and made sure that I spread it evenly and gave it the proper time to cure.

Good luck with it!

BHD
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    The person I know that did this cut it in 1/2 and put it in the dryer. He used a brush to put the adhesive on the egg and the gasket to cut down on the mess i.e. adhesive all over the Egg. Fred's video sprayed it on
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    Options
    I installed a new Nomex gasket on my large BGE about 9 months ago. I put the gasket in the dryer for about 20 minutes on "Normal", then sprayed the 3M glue into a cup and used a brush to apply it.

Easy, no mess, and about 100+ cooks later it is doing great. Not white any more but the food tastes just as good.

Good luck.
  • 2cats
    Options
    Did you notice any separation, paritioning, non-homogeneity of the Super 77 in the cup?
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    I put my nomex in the dryer for a little over 15 minutes and when all was said and done I had about 1/4 inch of shrinkage. I used a normal setting on the dryer. I too sprayed the Super77 into a cup and brushed it on covering about 8 or 9 inches at a time and setting the gasket as I worked. I saw no separation in the glue and it has performed as advertised through about 20 cooks some high temps for pizzas.

Good luck.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    2cats,

This is how I did it and had good success.

I put a nomax on my large a week ago and so far so good! B)

I put my new nomax gasket in the floor and measured both if them with a tape measure and then put them in the dryer. After that I measured them again and found that one shrunk and one did not. :side:

I found Grandpas Grub was a good source of info on removing the old gasket. He uses 91% alcohol.

I had removed the dome and it was on the table next to the base cleaned up and taped up with newspaper inside and out. I also had a tarp on the floor and the two gaskets on them. I sprayed both gaskets and the dome and base and waited a minuite or two.

Then with Cindy helping me I took one end of the gasket and Cindy the other and I carefuly stuck it to the base near the back and made my way around until I made it to the other end where I started. I used a scissors to cut off the extra making sure not to make it short but maybe a tad long and kinda craming the two ends at the but joint.

We then started on the dome and tried to put the splice at a differnt location than the base when it was back together. When we were finished we fliped the dome on the base and let it sit there.

Shortly after the gaskets were instaled I used acetone to clean up any messes.

I then put the egg back together and used the dollar bill method to get a good fit.

There are others that will chime in here with good advice. This is how I did it and had success.

Now all is good! ;) Tim
  • GrillDaddy
    Options
    I just sprayed Super 77 into a cup and use a brush.

I did not pre shrink, did not remove lid. Have son hold lid on an angle when needed.

Did a few low & slow, the one @ 400, up to 650 for a few times. so far so good. been about 5 months for new gasket.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Ditto to what troutman wrote. I also have used the high temp prematex gasket maker and prefer it as it's just easier and cleaner.
  • Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    Options
    I did a "pre-shrink" of the gasket in the dryer for 20 minutes on normal heat. It was certainly easy to do it that way (as recommended on this forum), although I didn't test it scientifically by measuring it before and after I took it out of the dryer to see if it actually shrunk. Either way, I haven't had any problems with gasket shrinking on the egg, for what it's worth.

Regarding spraying super 77 into a cup, at least one person on the forum mentioned that the actual adhesive in super 77 is basically just rubber cement, so by spraying into a cup and painting it on, you're basically paying more than buying rubber cement and adding an extra step. For my own gasket installation, I had already purchased the super 77, so I used it, but just sprayed it as carefully as I could (fortunately it was a nice calm day--wind could definitely be a factor). I noticed the consistency was pretty similar to rubber cement, so if I ever needed to do another gasket replacement and didn't have super 77 on hand, I'd probably just use rubber cement.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Well, it DOES smell like rubber cement! If that's really all it is, the 3M guys are making a killing! Also, once it's dry, rubber cement can be easily removed by simply rubbing it with your finger. Not sure about the interior of the egg since it's porous and coated with gunk, but it should just rub off of the smooth outside.

If it's really nothing more than rubber cement with a propellant.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TheGrillisGone
    Options
    I had my nomex fall off after installing last spring. It left the nomex adhesive still attached to the egg just like the felt saga.

HQ replace felt no problem, however what they are now trying is nomex with no adhesive at all.

Has anyone done this install yet?

Jim
    Snellville, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    That's what I just got as a replacement thru my dealer. No adhesive, but the instruction card that comes with it recommends 3M Super 77.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Someone should be able to go get the MSDS sheets for the two products and see how closely they resemble each other....
    The Naked Whiz
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    You mean the food doesn't taste better with the Nomex gasket? I am disappointed. :blink:
  • 2cats
    Options
    Unfortunately, the adhesive in Super77 is listed on the MSDS as a New Jersey Trade Secret number, so we won't know what it is unless/until we track that down. The similarity to the smell of rubber cement may well be due to the use of the same solvents, but the actual adhesive could be markedly different. I think that a large part of the impetus behind the selection of Super77 comes from its suitability for food applications, and I have to admit that this does slow me down a bit in embracing the alternate adhesive and gasket materials that get discussed here.

I'm thinking that I'm going to brush on the egg, and spray on the gasket. Of course, after following the recommendations for shrinking. I just have to wait for a warm dry day, which looks like it could be next June.

For those with Nomex gaskets that came with adhesive attached - I think most of the discussion here is focused on the plain Nomex.