Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Coal review

hizzoner
hizzoner Posts: 182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When I bought my Egg, I bought some Ozark Oak lump because I had heard of the reviews (Naked Whiz)

I liked it......but I bought some B&B the other day and my LOrd the lumps are huge! Bigger than aything in the Ozark bags that I bought

Giving them a try right now.

Comments

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    I'm sure others can attest, that lump charcoal comes in various sizes. I've personally had a 20 lb. bag of lump with no bits larger than a pack of cigarettes, and I've had Royal Oak from Wal Mart with chunks over a foot long.
    What I'm saying is it's not the brand so much, as the batch your particular bag was filled from. The sizes will vary greatly among most brands. Premium brands may have more large chunks than others. Another variable is how the bags are handled after they leave the manufacturer. Lump can break into smaller pieces if handled roughly.

Let me know how you like the B&B.. I've never tried it. I'm still dying to try the Maple Leaf lump from Canada... problem is nobody sells it in USA and I'll never make it to Canada. It's not cost effective to ship it and they will not export it to the USA... I've inquired.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Wish I could find that here for the overnight low and slows. :(
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    B&B charcoal comes from Argentina and you will find that a lot of the huge hunks like your opened hand will be coming out of South America.Be careful because most of this stuff has high ash and a lot of sparking that can get on to your food.Case in point would be Royal Oak that is not made in America.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    My next trip to MN I will bring a bunch north.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Size isn't everything. And I wouldn't want a bag of huge pieces. You'll find yourself breaking them up to fit them into your fire. Too many large pieces and the fire may burn out since it is more difficult for the fire to maintain itself, let alone spread.
    The Naked Whiz
  • hizzoner
    Size isn't everything

I keep trying to convince my wife of that
  • Don't worry. The cold harsh reality will set in.... :laugh:
    The Naked Whiz
  • I would rather deal with too big than the problem I've been having lately. The last three bags I've gotten, all different brands, have been so small that they have been choking out my fires. This is getting REALLY old.
  • hizzoner
    Side note for those reading.

I am a complete newbie and only on my 3rd bag of lump (2 bags of Ozark Oak and now this B&B)

So take my observations for what they are worth.....not much
  • hizzoner
    Okay, I've got some experience with this stuff now. The first "pour" out of the bag were HUGE pices....like I said earlier. Now that I've been through the bag.....lots of small stuff too and lots of sparks. It burns faster than Ozark Oak too.

I still like the Ozark Oak better