Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cornbeef

Options
Emarf
Emarf Posts: 167
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi could you tell me should I cook it direct or indirect
what temp meat and dome temp, I'll be using the rig thanks

Comments

• Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Is it a prepared corned beef or are you making your own from scratch?
  • Emarf
    Options
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Ok, I've only ever done one and it was fantastic but you have some work to do...

Corned Beef is meant to be boiled. Boiling removes the salt and it's loaded with it. You have to get that salt out or you won't be able to eat it.

Here is what you do. Soak the thing in water, exchange that water every 4 hours or so during the day. (Or when you remember.) Do this for 3 days.

After all this, your corned beef wont look very nice but it will come back to life when you cook it.

Rub the crap out of it with a Montreal Steak Spice or equivelent.

Fire up your EGG for indirect at 250.

Put that thing on and away see goes. Remove at 160-165 internal and let rest.

I did a 4.5 lber in about 3-4 hours.

Basically, you turned the cornbeef into Pastrami or Montreal Smoke Meat.

Grab the rye bread!
    You are going to love this!
  • Emarf
    Options
    thanks for the help
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC07709a.jpg

Making pastrami from store bought corned beef is a real treat. Like GOF mentioned above the process is simple and very rewarding. All you do is soak, season, rest, smoke, finish using one of several methods.

Here is a technique I worked out with a lot of help from folks right here on the Forum. The rest following the soak is very important, try not to overlook that. Several finish options are included, my current favorite being a pressure finish.

Pastrami
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Emarf
    Options
    thanks thirdeye that helps a lot
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Great post I think I want to do this sometime. ;)

Fyi I use to live and work there in Bradenton. I love it there. I spent last thanksgiving there. :)
    Tim
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    I disagree with GOV, sorry. Corned beef can also be roasted with potatoes and cabbage, turnips, etc. The flavor of the meat is absorbed by the root veggies and the cabbage. In no way is it too salty. I cook this every year for 300-400 people. Place the briskets fat side UP in a roasting pan. add your veg and top with cabbage. Add NOTHING else. No water, beer, seasonings, etc. Cover tightly with heavy duty foil. Roast at 350 until a fork goes through the meat with NO resistance. If you are doing 5-6 pounds of meat, it should take 3-4 hrs. I'd check it after 3 hrs. This can also be done with the meat alone. Trust me, I've done this every year going on 20 yrs.
  • momcooks
    momcooks Posts: 247
    Options
    I used a plate setter up and cooked. Slow cooked it for about 3 hours, no soaking or seasoning. We've never eaten it any other way since.

Dsc01960cornedbeef-vi.jpg
  • Store bought, flat cut.