Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

a dumb question

Options
mr toad
mr toad Posts: 780
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i have a lodge logic dutch oven (7qt.) – but i have read here and elsewhere that the cast iron reacts with certain foods –

now the question – what do you smoke/cook in your cast iron oven or what do you suggest that can be smoked/cooked

thanks - mr toad
See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                    Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Acidic foods, like tomatoes can break down the seasoning on cast iron. But this happens if the food is stored in the Dutch oven, like in the fridge overnight or longer.... Cooking something like chili in a DO is no problem at all, provided you begin with a nicely seasoned Dutch oven.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    As ~thirdeye~ said everything can be cooked in a dutch oven as long as you clean it out after use.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    i avoid tomatoes or just add them late in the cook, some dont have a problem with the acidity affecting the metal and giving off a metallic taste to the food, but i taste metal with long cooks with tomatoes. lodge will tell you that a well seasoned pot wont be affected by tomatoes but ive even had their presoned pots bubble and flake sesoning. now my cooks are probably longer than most here, usually starting with dry beans, fresh tomatoes etc which leads me to think short cooks are less problematic. in the cast iron, lamb/beef stew, potroast with all the fixings, sausage stew, gumbos, i save tomato sauce making for the enamelled and if making chili all day i use the enamel
    this country cobbler would work well in a regular dutch as well

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=610617&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I've even heard you can cook up a nice batch of trash in a dutch oven (though I couldn't find that recipe in the Florida Eggfest cookbook) *snicker*.

I am in the camp with thirdeye and CW...you can cook just about anything in well seasoned cast iron with no side effects.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    One Plastic Fork
    One Plastic Cover to Fork Box
    One Fork Box.

Heat DO to 350 degrees. Cook till ingredients are charred.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i can tell you i cooked this one for maybe 8-10 hours and had to pick the seasoning flakes out when eating it. dont make sauce with whole tomatoes simmering all day long in the cast iron, shorter cooks maybe
    516ea675.jpg
    fukahwee maine

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I've had a similar problem with certain foods eating into Calphalon. Those pots are over-priced c**p!!
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Okay, if Mr. Toad can ask a dumb question so can I....what do you mean when you refer to seasoning is flaking off? Is it on the sides of the cast iron pot?
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • fishlessman
    Options
    the seasoning is baked on lard or bacon grease. you coat it and bake it a couple times and it becomes a hard layer of black seasoning that doesnt stick to anything over time.
    fukahwee maine

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Are you by chance cleaning it in a dishwasher?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Rascal
    Options
    No, everything I cook in gets washed by hand.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I like making Clay's Pulled BBQ Beef and the No knead Bread - both of these recipes are found in the cookbook section of this forum.

I've also made short ribs, but I don't remember where the recipe was found.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    As thirdeye stated follow his guide.You did not state what type of dutch oven that you have and that could change things a little.There are quite a few enameled coated cast iron products that will let you not have to worry as much about keeping the pot seasoned.Now is the time of year that the pot roast's ,chili,shredded beef,and stews that are fantastic when done on the egg.To braise whatever you desire comes out very well with the dutch oven in the egg.Have fun and let us know what's cooking.
  • Rascal
    Options
    Calphalon pots, when I bought them back in the 90's, came with a life-time warrantee. I got one replacement with that program and then it became... when you walk out the door you own it! Since then I've replaced them with ss (All-Clad). Certain ingredients (even if stored in the pot in the fridge) eat through the lining into the base metal. They look pretty, so if you have the room, hang on a rack, but don't use for cooking!
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 780
    Options
    i have uses the pots for 15+ years - no problems - i have purchased a new frying pan with a handle that does not get hot - these are wonderful to use on a gas stove top - response time is unbelievable
    and
    my daughter has a set of all-clad and is equally happy

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Dutch Oven cooking is fantastic and even made better when used with the egg.

You can cook/bake anything, fruits, cakes, breads, meats, soups, the list is endless.

I like to use both Cast Iron and Enamel Cast Iron.

One of my favorite Egg/DO cooks. We usually do it on Sundays.

doroast1.jpg

doroast3.jpg

doroast4.jpg

doroast6.jpg

doroast7.jpg

Here is a link to the post for the full cook. The recipe is also available in the Forum Recipe Section.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=473938&catid=1

Here is a couple of Enamel CI cooks.

chili2.jpg

eggcioppinoa.jpg

eggcioppinob.jpg

GG
  • Cheesegghead
    Options
    Agreed, I have cooked just about everything in Grandma's cast iron DO. Mine goes through several batches of chili each winter with no ill affects. As mentioned above, just don't throw it in the dishwasher - and never use soap on it. If properly seasoned, a quick soak in hot water will loosen everything up. When in doubt about the seasoning, smear shortening all over the thing and flip it upside-down in the egg at about 400* for an hour or so. Good as new and ready to cook!

Try a deep dish apple pie this time of year. Or - throw some wood chips on for the last couple hours to give your chili, stew, or beans a nice smoked flavor.