Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Production Rubs

Options
hizzoner
hizzoner Posts: 182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well since my homemade rub thread didn't get much traction, I'mcurious to see what the forum considers the best in rubs. I wish I knew how to post a poll here, but this forum style is not my cup of tea.

So lets hear your favorite rubs for steak, pork and chicken (fish too if you like)

Here in Texas Grub Rub seems to be pretty popular. I was born and raised on Tony Chachere's. I've never ventured out much. I'm thinking of ordering 5-6 different kinds and trying them.

Lets hear it

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    My go to rub is the Loveless Cafe's rub. Very layered with flavors. I have the cookbook. It's located in Nashville. Popular with the stars stopping by. Great cookbook.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Try this, its in Texas

http://www.johnhenrysfoodproducts.com/about.html

I like the Pecan rub and Raspberry Chipotle rub

Ross
  • SmokinJ
    SmokinJ Posts: 220
    Options
  • Gator Bait
    Options

I missed your homemade rub thread I guess so I'm going to interject a little in that direction.

I don't use many rubs. I like the taste of the meat I have paid dearly for. When I do use a rub I use a homemade rub. Developing your own rub is a great deal of work and experimenting. It takes a lot of time and patience. My rub recipe is:

1/2 C paprika
    1/4 C fine Sea salt
    2 C Drk. Brown Sugar
    2 T Dry Mustard
    1/4 C Chilli powder
    1/4 C Cumin
    2 T Blk. Pepper
    2 T Garlic powder
    1 T Onion powder
    1 t Cayenne pepper
    1 T Nutmeg
    1 T Cinnamon

Canola oil

T = Tablespoon, t = teaspoon

Rub meat with oil and coat with rub and . . . . rub. Wrap tightly in film and let marinate over night or longer in the frig.

As you can see I like a sweet rub with out a lot of heat. This recipe makes enough for me to get a good idea if I like it or want to change it. It also gives me enough to share with friends and family so I can get their opinions also. I buy all my herbs and spices from Sam's Club or from health food stores. The little bottles at the super market are a rip off. Brown sugar I get from the super market where prices are lowest. I bought a FoodSaver this summer and I am convinced that it is the best way to store just about anything food related. I will never store meat any other way and when I get my rub perfected and make larger batches I will store it vacuum sealed also.

I have not tried enough of the commercial rubs yet to have any opinion. I know from reading the forum that Dizzy Pig's rubs are very popular. Many people here also like Carnivore BBQ Sauces. They are both made by contributing members of the forum and their popularity is testament to the amount of hard work that has gone into developing them. I hope to try them soon.

Good luck,

Gator

• Misippi Egger
    Options
    Hizzoner,

Go the the Dizzy Pig web site and order their sample pack. I have all their rubs in my pantry and use them often. They are all made fresh, without preservatives or other additives, which is the main thing I appreciate about them.

Prior to DP, I use (and still use) a locally made rub we call "Rebel Rub". It is made by Rebel Butcher Supply in Flowood, MS. I buy it from their main offices, as one doesn't see it sold around here retail. They said most of their sales are in Texas and the Carolinas (I think under different labels).
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    While I might be a little biased as I cook with Nature Boy on the Dizzy Pig team I love Dizzy Pig rubs and bought them all regularly before I was on the team. Cowlick is my favorite on steak, Dizzy Dust or Raging River on pork, Tsunami Spin or Shakin The Tree on fish, Red Eye on burgers and lamb, etc.. Chris makes a great product that is freshly ground with amazing flavor profiles. Try the sample pack if you aren't sure what to get and you can try them all.

Chuck
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Try the JH pecan rub that Ross mentioned. I love it as well. It goes good on pork and chicken. Probably one of the best pork rubs I've ever had.