Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoke on a butt

Options
Chainsmoker
Chainsmoker Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I follow Elder Ward's instructions to the letter. However, after about 30 minutes, the "smoking" stops. I am using a fist-sized chunk of hickory on a small pile of glowing coals, so I don't think it's burning up that quick. Any comments? [p]Oh yeah, I still get a pretty good smoke ring in the meat. [p]Thanks
Chainsmoker

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    chainsmoker,
    Well, wood will smoke a lot to begin with but then the smoke will get thinner and less visible. I've seen a lot of folks describe a thin blue stream of smoke. One thing you can do if you want to ensure you have smoke all thru the cook, however, is the following: When you build your fire, load up the charcoal until you are about 2 inches from where you want to be. Then put 3 or 4 fist size pieces on the lump in a circle around the middle. The finish adding charcoal around the chunks up to the level that you want. As your fire burns down, those extra chunks will produce smoke later in the cook. Good luck![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Chainsmoker
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    you da man!
    (and I love your website)[p]chainsmoker