Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tgiving Turkey

Options
llrickman
llrickman Posts: 654
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Im gonna be doing the turkey(my first on an egg) for our thanksgiving dinner this year and was wondering from you eggspert eggers do i need to brine the turkey before egging it?

I made one last year (in my electric smoker) and i did brine that one but was wondering if this one needed it?

I was told last year by (grandma) that is was the best turkey she ever had. well im gonna blow her doors off with an egged turkey :)

Thanks

Larry
2 LBGE
Digi Q
green Thermapen
AR

Albuquerque, NM

Comments

• civil eggineer
    Options
    Most frozen turkies purchased in the megamarts are already brined, look at the label.

If you purchase a fresh, non brined bird, I would say you can but it isn't necessary. The egg is unsurpassed at keeping foods moist while cooking. I cook with the KISS theory. I usually cook my turkeys at 375 dome temp for around 2 hours (12 lb bird) until the thigh hits 180. I put ice bags on the breast for a couple of hours prior to cooking as to hopefully keep the breast temp near 160 when pulled. Cook to temp and not time and everything will be good! Carefull if you add any wood chips because turkey can get a strong smoke flavor that isn't good. I don't use wood chips/chunks anymore when cooking turkey.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Mad Max's Turkey

Try it everyone will like it...
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    While it is true that most of the "Commercial" are injected with a solution containing salt and preservatives and other flavor inhancers (what ever that is), this is not the same as brining a bird. I like the flavors that are imparted with the brine. A brine can be much more than salt and water. Add whole black peppercorns,Bay Leaves,Garlic, Brown Sugar, Sliced oranges some peppers and what ever ya want. All of these will enhance the flavor. Did we not watch Alton Brown explain all of this time and time again. Go for it. It makes for a wonderful bird
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    personally, i've never brined a turkey in my life. ..matter of choice. .. . if you cook it properly it will be perfectly moist without brining, and i want my turkey to taste like turkey, not brine. .. .but that being said, if you liked brined birds, then definitely go for it. ...also, brining often times makes the drippings very salty for the gravy. ...
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Brining is for Hams :)

I am with you; I want my bird to taste like bird.