Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody got a recipe using Tootsie Rolls?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One of my most favorite candies are Tootsie Rolls though I don't buy them too frequently due to type 2 diabetes. OTOH an occasional treat is needed in life! Anybody have an egg dessert that uses these or could be substituted? TIA
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    We make homemade Cherry Mashes using them. Give me a day to get the recipe from my sister.

Mike
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one that might be adapted. and have an adult beverage while thinking it over.

Tootsie Roll

INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 Oz. Kahlúa
    1/2 Oz. White Crème de Cacao
    1/2 Oz. Orange Juice

Procedure:
    1 Stir all ingredients together with ice. Strain into a small rocks glass.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Cocktail

Recipe Source
    Source: Bourbon House, Rockledge, Fl, Franco, 2009/04/31

Dessert, Almond Toffee

My wife always shakes her head when I post pictures of food so to get even I am posting a picture of something that she made

INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 lb unsalted butter
    1 1/2 cup white sugar
    1 Tbs light corn syrup
    2 Tbs water
    1 12 oz bag of milk chocolate chips
    1 cup chopped almonds
    1/4 cup finely chopped or ground almonds

Procedure:
    1 Put the butter (cut into chunks), sugar, corn syrup and water into a medium pan. Heat over medium heat until the butter is melted. Increase the heat to medium high and cook until a candy thermometer read 300 degrees (F). Remove the thermometer and remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the chopped almonds and quickly pour into a greased 10 x 15 x 1 jelly roll pan that is on a cooling rack (You can also line the cookie sheet with easy-release foil. That is what my wife did). Spread evenly with a spatula sprayed with cooking spray. Let the toffee cool (about 30 minutes. Melt half of the chocolate chips in the microwave (about 45 seconds on high but YMMV). Spread the melted chocolate even over the toffee and refrigerate for about 20 minutes. Once the chocolate is set lay a sheet of wax paper over the jelly roll pan and carefully flip the whole thing over. Melt the other half of the chocolate chips and spread evenly over the other side of the toffee and then sprinkle on the finely chopped or ground almonds. Using the wax paper slide the toffee bar back onto the jelly roll pan and refrigerate for another 20 minutes to set and then break into chunks. The finished toffee will keep for up to a month in an airtight container.

Recipe Type
    Dessert

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Ron_L, 2007/12/24
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I'm all ears, Mike, thanks!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • deltadawn
    Options
    Kitty Litter Cake (for Halloween)
    You need a brand new plastic litter pan. See link.
    Not really diabetic, though. Sure does get a rise out of people though.

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/index.php?option=com_resource&controller=article&category_id=109&article=17836
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Ron,

I think I have an actual recipe but it is going to take me some time to search the hard drives to locate it.

In the mean time, this should give you some ideas.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,tootsie_roll,FF.html

Kent
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    What about cooking an apple and using the tootsie roll rather than snickers?