Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving Turkey on the egg

Options
OttawaEgg
OttawaEgg Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
G'day fellow eggerz !

I've decided to do my almost famous thanksgiving turkey on the egg this year.

Basically, I'm going to do my standard recipe (stuffed bird etc.) - but do in on the egg uncovered with a bit of smoke. I'm thinking some alder and cherry.

Any comments / tips? :whistle:

By the way, here's my recipe for my stuffing (no measurements - I just wing it! LOL)

1 lb sausage meat
2-3 stalks of celery chopped
1 large onion chopped
1 stick unsalted butter
3 tblspns sage
salt / pepper
4 cloves chopped garlic
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
1 or 2 loaves of cubed stuffing bread

Brown the sausage meat and remove, leaving some of the fat. Add celery, onion, butter, and sage and bring to a light simmer, until the celery and onion are softened. Remove from heat, and add the garlic.

(I sometimes add some chopped mushrooms that I've pre-cooked)

Set everything aside to cool.

Cube up the bread into a large bowl and toss with the sausage meat and pine nuts.

Pack that bird until it squeals!

If I have too much stuffing, I'll put it in a small casserole dish then put it in the oven for about 1/2 hour while the bird is resting.

Comments

• maXim
    maXim Posts: 468
    Options
    Tim, thanks for the stuffing recipe... Gonna have to give that a try this weekend! I also want to domy turkey on the egg for Thanks Giving.

Any preference on the sausage ?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Guys,

Mad Max is probably going to run his tutorial for his amazing turkey.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• aem
    aem Posts: 146
    Options
    This will be my first Thanksgiving with an egg. The past few years I've done a brined turkey on a Weber Smokey Mountain http://virtualweberbullet.com/turkey6.html.
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    Tim, Enjoy your turkey, Don't get to stuffed to watch your fav. sports thingie. Many Smiles to you and the family.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Tim:
    I’ve smoked four turkeys on my Egg: Two Thanksgivings, one Christmas and one “Winter B-day” gathering. All have been successful and have tasted wonderful.
    Your stuffing sounds very good. Thanks for sharing it.
    I can’t really add any tips for you other than; roast it indirect and pretty slow.
    And, one word of caution. Remember that a stuffed bird takes more time to roast. According to Mrs. Potatohead (the food safety queen), make sure the stuffing is temped. She likes 160 F.
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Tim,

You can't go wrong doing the turkey on the egg. At my place, it is the only way to do the turkey :laugh: . I have used pecan the few times I have cooked up turkey. I'm thinking of adding in some apple this time around. The one word of advice I have is that it takes less time to cook it on the egg.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Smokin' Wolverine
    Options
    do it at 350, inverted plate setter, put roating pan on that but raise it off the plate setter with the egg feet,put your wine onion and garlic in the bottom of the roasting pan, put a rib rack(inverted) or another type of rack in the roating pan so that the bird is not touching the wine mixture when it is cooking, ice the turkey's breasts for 20 minutes before putting on the egg cook bird and pull at 160 breast and 180 thigh, I would be carefull with the smoke idea, poultry and especially the stuffing will absorb that smoke quickly and possibly ruin the meal. My brother in law and I have done about 15-20 turkeys this way over the past 5 years and wee have never been disappointed, we do brine the bird for 24 hrs before however and rinse it thoroughly before stuffing it. when you pull the bird tent it with foil for about half and hour before you carve it. go to the naked whiz' site to see this with pictures(this is mad maxx's cooking instructions

good luck
  • GaryBushey
    Options
    I just did my first turkey on the Egg tonight in preparation for a Thanksgiving one and came online just to look for this very information!

I did mine on a vertical stand (no stuffing). I probably will not be doing the stuffing (it is a multi-family Thanksgiving) so is there any reason NOT to use the vertical stand?

Also I did put some rub on mine but most people will just throw the skin away anyway so is there a better way to flavor the meat a bit?

Thanks for any tips and even without doing anything the turkey was still the best I've had!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Gary:
    Using only your fingers, carefully separate the skin from the breast meat. DO NOT cut it off, just loosen it.
    Take your favorite rub and give it a liberal rub down under the skin…Rub some on the skin too. Put everything back in place and roast away.
    I have never done a vertical turkey or a chicken for that matter, but it seems to me folks do a standing chicken pretty often. Guess if that works for you…Go for it.
    Come to think of it….Here is a method and a rub that I most usually do:

SCARBOROUGH FAIR ROAST TURKEY
    (Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme)
    North Portage Smoke-Shack
    From JB with inspiration from Pam Rundell

1 whole turkey
    1 lemon
    1 orange
    sprigs of fresh parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme

The Rub:
    2 T. crushed, dried lemon (lemon zest will do)
    2 t. thyme leaves, rubbed
    1 t. rosemary leaves, rubbed
    1 t. rubbed sage
    1 t. parsley
    1 t. salt
    1 t. fresh ground pepper
    1 t. garlic powder

1)) Wash and trim the turkey, readying it for roasting. Salt and pepper the cavity.

2)) Loosen (do not cut or remove) the skin on the breast with you hand and then rub the "rub mixture" onto the meat. Pull the skin back in place.

3)) Place the fresh herbs into the cavity along with the lemon and orange. Both of these fruits need to either be pocked full of "fork" holes, or sliced in half. Truss the legs as best as possible to close the cavity.

4)) Roast / smoke (I like apple wood) indirect at 250 to 300 F. with the plate setter, legs up with a drip pan spaced above the plate setter. After about the first hour bump the temp. up to 325 - 350 F. continue the roast, basting occasionally with a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice and dry white wine, until done. I like to pull the bird at a temp. of about 165 - 170 F. and let it rest, covered with foil, for about 20 to 30 minutes...If I can keep the hungry crowd away!!
    A basic rule of thumb, for a roasting guide, being 15 minutes / lb. but the final temp. is the key, no matter the time.

5)) Make an Au Jus with the drippings right in the drip pan. If you wish, first separate the resulting fat, then add any left over basting juice and additional white wine, season with a little salt and pepper (to taste) and bring to a boil.