Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spider Questions

Options
hizzoner
hizzoner Posts: 182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If I buy the Spider accessory and buy a cast iron grid to fit it (smallBGE CI grid, I assume), can the CI grid and Spider be left in the Egg, even when not using them?

Also, I am reading that you can use a round stone and round drip pan in the Spider for indirect.....will the BGE round pizza stone work for this or is it too big?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    In my large use my CI small grid all the time and my small pizza stone for indirect.
    The spider lives in the egg all the time and when not using the ci is fine in it. Must move for lump....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BenCour
    BenCour Posts: 62
    Options
    Hello Hizzoner,

You could leave the CI grid in the egg but I have read stories of CI grid cracking. I will have the same setup soon and I am planning of removing the CI grid when not in use.

As for the pizza stone, assuming it's a large stone, no it wont fit, you need a 13" stone.

Ben
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    You could leave the CI grid on all the time, though I don't think there is any need to keep it there all the time. Not sure you can damage CI. I take care of my CI grid like a well seasoned CI skillet, so it has a home outside the BGE when not in use.

The Spider together w/a 13" pizza stone can be used for indirect heat. You can also put a drip pan on it. I do this all the time. There are some good write ups on this on the Ceramic Cooking Store website... They make good products. I have the adjustable rig, and the spider. just got my second set (adjustable rig and spider) for my new BGE that will be one of the demo's at Eggtoberfest.

Good luck.
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    In our Large Egg we have the CI grid from a Med Egg and it fits well, and gives more room than the small size. Tjv told me that some Eggs will not take the spider that allows the med grid to be used: contact him for more info.
    We always leave the spider hanging from the fire ring but remove the CI grid when it is not being used, as we see no point in removing it to start the lump, add wood etc., and then replace it when it is already out of the Egg.