Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Now I understand

Options
Budhm
Budhm Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had an egg since the beginning of summer, but I now really know it was set up wrong from the beginning. I had air gaps that burnt the gasket on the first cook. For 5 months now, I've been fighting (but loving) it.

Kind.of like driving a car with no brakes. I finally called the dealer (got blown off)...then bought the gasket from fred's bbq and built it properly...

I understood that the egg adjusted slowly...but my frame of reference was over 30-45 min per couple of degrees...I even resorted to duck tape to help me check the temp...

btw...until today, I've never been able to save ANY lump for the next cook...

finally happy... :)

Comments

• Budhm
    Budhm Posts: 11
    Options
    Just go ahead and demand change or change your gasket yourself (btw...on the upper band, after installing the gasket, I used a little body weight as I tightened to give a nice seal, pulling up on the back and lightly on the front to keep an even distance on the dome, but to keep air gaps from forming...

btw...for the experts...should my egg have come with 2 springs instead of one?...definitely unevely pulls the egg dome, leaving space unless I pull to the right (spring side and push on teh rear bottom lift plate...to get an even seal...

...reason being that I have to pull the top to the right and down (with a push on the rear bottom lift plate to get it to seat properly now that I've replaced the gasket...

thx
    Bud
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    The large has 2 springs, I know at least one of the smaller sizes have only 1 spring. Having to pull the top down and to the right does not sound right. I have had gaskets that were new, or severely messed up on one side and never had to do anything like that. I would talk to your dealer, if that gets you nowhere call HQ in Atlanta.