Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uighur Naan

Options
Kat
Kat Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Our first flatbreads on our new egg were a total success.

f001.jpg

[/img]f002.jpg

We got the egg at a steady 500 degrees, with plate setter and baking stone heated with the egg, we baked two at a time.

Uighur Naan

2 1/2 cups warm wate
2 teaspoons dry yeast
5 to 6 cups unbleached flour
2 teaspoons salt

Using a stand mixer, remove mixer bowl from stand, add water and sprinkle yeast over the warm water and stir to dissolve, add 3 cups of flour by hand and with wooden spoon or spatula stir the dough 100 times (about 1 minute) in the same direction - this develops the gluten for a great flatbread - then I put the bowl back on the stand and add 2 teaspoons salt and then add flour a cup at a time with the dough hook working the dough. When it begins to form a ball and clear the bottom of the bowl, remove to lightly floured board, knead by hand a turn or two then place in oiled bowl, cover with lid or saran wrap and let rise in warm place 1 1/2 hours.

Punch down dough, turn it out onto floured board, divide into 6 to 8 pieces depending on size naan you want. Pat each piece into a round the size you want, place on a parchment paper covered peel or baking sheet.

Sprinkle the dough with water, you can do it by spritzing with water bottle of just dipping fingers into bowl of water and flicking onto the dough. It should be pretty wet but not soaking. Pierce the center of the rounds - you can use a fork or a steak tenderizer with prongs, the natives use a bread stamp but I've yet to be able to find one!

For the topping, you can sprinkle with whole cumin or use a spice blend, we like Penzey's Southwest blend. Then about a tablespoon of chopped scallions. Cover with some plastic wrap and let rise about 10 minutes. Transfer to some heated baking stones or tiles, at about 500 degrees, and bake approximately 10 minutes.

Transfer to towel lined basket and serve.

Since I bake for only a few people, I often will halve the dough and keep it in a covered bowl for a day or two to bake fresh naan again.

The BGE makes a GREAT oven! :)

Kathy

Comments